Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: STORAGE LAW HELP

STORAGE LAW HELP

I am wanting to go to university in a different town. and from my understanding of section 19 of the arms regulations 1992 my rifles would have to come with me.

Name:  77fdc73fb6c3c5730ab03ff79c8ee348.png
Views: 621
Size:  68.6 KB

In addition to this i hear of a lot of AOs saying "a-cat safe need to be bolted down" however I can't find an amendment that says that.
    The only thing that needs to be bolted down according to section 28 is e-cat safes, but the police website quotes this section for all firearms.

Name:  366735d788057ae59c6fa9dd9e3ad2b9.png
Views: 591
Size:  129.2 KB
    Basically I'm just asking for a second interpretation of law or guidance if i have missed something.

Cheers
    I've always loathed the necessity of sleep. Like death, it puts even the most powerful men on their backs.

1 Don't change your address for gun stuff or
    2 a simple 6mm eyebolt in corner of wardrobe 400mm off the ground with a hardened steel padlock will be sufficient

apologies, forgot to add i already have an e-cat rated safe because i wanted something more secure than a-cat
    I've always loathed the necessity of sleep. Like death, it puts even the most powerful men on their backs.

is it legal to do what Paddy79 suggested as the first option?

Technically no, however I did for ten years not a problem at all, in fact I even mentioned to A/O that I had shifted when purchasing a new fire arm and he was not concerned of my address change, so go figure aye

The safest option? If the firearms are secured at your parents house ask the AO, would be much safer in my opinion than carting them around student flats? Of course if the AOs logic is as good as mind he'd probably want you to take with you, as he did when I purchased a firearm recently, could not come to me at work, but could be send to my home address where no one is at home all day, only other option was a gun store or be held a a Couriers. Go figure?
    Deetleaves likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    The safest option? If the firearms are secured at your parents house ask the AO, would be much safer in my opinion than carting them around student flats? Of course if the AOs logic is as good as mind he'd probably want you to take with you, as he did when I purchased a firearm recently, could not come to me at work, but could be send to my home address where no one is at home all day, only other option was a gun store or be held a a Couriers. Go figure?

Having secure storage at your parents place is probably easiest but only if one of them has a license. (Could be worth paying for one to get a license in that scenario if they dont yet) But bear in mind the AO will probably ask if you have somewhere safe to keep one or two at your residence in case you end up with one there at any point. (eg you buy a new one and dont take it straight to your parents place) Discuss the situation with your AO and find out what they will require. Asking us what we think wont make as much difference if we dont think the same thing as the local AO. And considering we all have different experiences and answers the AO is the only one whose answer will have an effect on the outcome....
    Deetleaves and Paddy79 like this.

Your parents do not require a firearms license for you to continue to store your firearms at home. BUT they must NOT know where the key is or how to get in to the safe. For all intents and purposes their address is still your home address.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Your parents do not require a firearms license for you to continue to store your firearms at home. BUT they must NOT know where the key is or how to get in to the safe. For all intents and purposes their address is still your home address.
    but isn't some one supposed to know how to access your firearms in case something happens to you? ie an accident where you become physically or mentally incapacitated or death
    and carry out as your will follows in regards to disposal of said firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    but isn't some one supposed to know how to access your firearms in case something happens to you? ie an accident where you become physically or mentally incapacitated or death
    Had my 10-year licence renewal interview & security inspection last week. The (civilian) vetting contractor asked me this question, stating this isn't a legal requirement but Police would like firearm owners to consider making arrangements, just in case you fall off a bluff or lose your marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    Had my 10-year licence renewal interview & security inspection last week. The (civilian) vetting contractor asked me this question, stating this isn't a legal requirement but Police would like firearm owners to consider making arrangements, just in case you fall off a bluff or lose your marbles.
    And here I was thinking it was necessary. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    My wife is about to apply for her license for this very reason. If something happens to me, then they can stay right where they are under her onwership / possession until she feels the need to deal with them. And she will probably have enough on her plat e at the time that she can just leave them there and forget about them for a while.....
    10-Ring and Cordite like this.

I recently had some trouble with the police due to not updating my current address and the fact that that I didn't have Acat storage (I do have B). Even though I didn't have any Acat firearms at my house as they were at a friends, the AO told me it was a legal requirement for me to have some kind of storage for Acat just in case.

So what's going to happen next? People with out a gun licence need an approved safe incase they have guest staying who may have brought a rifle with them
    Deetleaves likes this.

Here's another one for you all. I enquired last year about e cat security and that I wished to secure my E cat firearms in my NZDF camp armoury as I considered it to be a more secure location than my home address. Nope, not allowed unless I actually lived in barracks. I had to store them at my home residence in a non-alarmed, unfenced, non-patrolled, non-gated location. So be it.
    Deetleaves likes this.