Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: T3 Half- cock issue

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Please stop giving advice.
    Have you tried it mate? If you reload give it a go. Just a primer in some brass and a primer and beat the rifle on the floor. Primers need an impact for the compound to ignite. You can actually take a live primer and push a nail or decapping pin through it and it won't go off. Safetys can fail or be clicked off accidentially and then you have an energised pin. Fairly easily to push a half cock down too.
    Ps I never have one in the chamber if I am not actively stalking an animal
    Last edited by robhughes-games; 10-04-2016 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Auto correct issues

FFS here we go again. I hate regurgitated threads in particular this one which has gone straight off topic from what the issue the OP originally posted.

Sorry for getting off topic. What catridge is it. I think the OP should get a blank round in that catridge and test it. If it does it again then go to the gunsmith. Otherwise maybe he bumped the trigger. The tape over the primer would show a dent because the protrusion of the pin would press it into the existing primer dent
    Last edited by robhughes-games; 10-04-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robhughes-games View Post
    Sorry for getting off topic. What catridge is it. I think the OP should get a blank round in that catridge and test it. If it does it again then go to the gunsmith. Otherwise maybe he bumped the trigger. The tape over the primer would show a dent because the protrusion of the pin would press it into the existing primer dent
    Again, no....
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Blank as I'm just a primer on brass. Not a blank as in a crimped case!typing isn't the best way of conveying a message

Blank as in just a primed piece of brass. Not a blank as in a crimped case!typing isn't the best way of conveying a message. What would be your advice @Spudattack

Take it back to gunsmith for rectifying/repair. If no luck, take to another gunsmith.

T3 Half- cock issue

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Take it back to gunsmith for rectifying/repair. If no luck, take to another gunsmith.
    This^

At no point should the firing pin be proud unless the trigger is pulled, therefore your post is completely incorrect and serves to show there is a problem @robhughes-games
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

If the sear was not engaging then the pin would be proud when the bolt was closed. That's all in saying with the tape indent.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Of course the firing pin is proud when the bolt is closed and not cocked. As gundoc says, it's not a safe way to carry a rifle with a round in the chamber.
    Spudattack likes this.

T3 Half- cock issue

Quote Originally Posted by robhughes-games View Post
    If the sear was not engaging then the pin would be proud when the bolt was closed. That's all in saying with the tape indent.
    Exactly, he said he had the bolt held in half cock and it fired when he closed the bolt, the firing pin should be held back by the sear when doing this, obviously it was not and this is what he was testing.

As you say above, the sear was not engaged and that means he has a problem as it is meant to be engaged unless he pulls the trigger, which is what he was testing with the tape over the primer.

Thanks all - I meant half open bolt position as opposed to half cock -
    If he was up here I would get him around and decap a case and seat a primer then rechamber primered case and see what happens
    he been hunting around11 years now and He is a safe person - I doubt that he touched the trigger.
    I will acdvise him to return with rifle to the gunsmith and sort it

cheers all - hot barrels and b careful out there
    robhughes-games likes this.

You need to understand the origins of the half cock and what it's original application was, do a little bit of digging and here are a few hints;

> It is unique to NZ?
    > Enfield?
    > Cock on open or close?

Applying it to a T3 or any modern rifle you have effectively used a solution for a problem that doesn't exist and what's worse in this instance created further problems (by using a "gunsmith", qualified or self-qualified?).
    dogmatix, Savage1 and ebf like this.
    Manufactured Commercial Small Arms 2010 USA Vs. Commercial Small Arms 2010 Imported to NZ
    ... 1,800,000.00 / 8,000.00 = 0.44%

Ejected
    The only thing worse than a cock is a half cock.

Ejected
    Name:  il_430xn31828659.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  23.9 KB