Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Trade me has firearms database

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    This could all ready easily be done man. Mine user info then check everyone who has made a sale or bought a gun and sell that list. Would be long enough to keep any criminal organisation very busy for a long time. This system adds security without any real extra risk.

Also it's worth noting that it's pretty hard to hack an I eternal system like that and that most of that sort of data leak happens at the head office, either by someone visiting the building, but more commonly by a pissed off staff member.
    I note the TradeMe website is not HTTPS when you're just browsing it, may or may not be significant. There will be computing savvy forum members out there who may be able to comment.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

They care because they don,t want people without a license buying parts or guns, so what if they know what you own, if you have Eor C cat they do already.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I note the TradeMe website is not HTTPS when you're just browsing it, may or may not be significant. There will be computing savvy forum members out there who may be able to comment.
    Name:  trade1.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  trade.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  58.5 KB

The connection to this site is encrypted and authenticated using a strong protocol (TLS 1.2), a strong key exchange (ECDHE_ECDSA with P-256), and a strong cipher (AES_128_GCM).

It's as secure as one can get. More secure than Police's own www.snap.org.nz which uses TLS 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    They care because they don,t want people without a license buying parts or guns, so what if they know what you own, if you have Eor C cat they do already.
    I'm saying why do they care about the specifics of what you're doing. Also clearly you have no idea how E/B/C registration works, because they don't know what I have because I own many a category firearms.
    Deetleaves likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    This thread is quite misleading, they do not appear have a data base, they appear to have a system to send a number through to police to get a y/n on valid license. I cant see the harm or am I missing something?
    Not entirely. The list of firearms for sale and sold and to and from whom are all held in a database. They also obviously, from reports of folk on this forum putting in the wrong numbers, got a database of members and their FAL number already. Really there is nothing knew here, they are just using some of that information that they already have to do a quick yes/no validity check.

With their address verification it does make it a bit more difficult for crims to run a black market through a pretty public medium. Not even the real crims are that stupid, so realistically it won't achieve a lot but it will make Police and TM happy because they'll feel like they're trying to do something.
    gsp follower likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    I'm saying why do they care about the specifics of what you're doing. Also clearly you have no idea how E/B/C registration works, because they don't know what I have because I own many a category firearms.
    Where did I say they Know what A cat guns you have, I was trying to put over that with other cats they know what you have, so what difference would it make if they know what A cat you re looking at, or wanting to buy ? Unless you have something to hide ?. I personally would sooner they checked me 50 times than someone not entitled to buy a firearm getting one.

It will be interesting to see if people start getting calls from the Police asking why they haven't completed a mail order form when buying from trade Me, which can be perfectly legitimate for a local sale
    Deetleaves likes this.

Its very simple to see if a person has brought or sold firearm related stuff on TM as it is, just click onto a persons profile who has a listing of anything and check out their feed back from there you can see what was brought or sold by them, so from a crims point of view they don't need a hack computer systems. they just need a check ya feed back, purchase what you are selling on the condition of pickup and then rob ya when they arrive

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    Its very simple to see if a person has brought or sold firearm related stuff on TM as it is, just click onto a persons profile who has a listing of anything and check out their feed back from there you can see what was brought or sold by them, so from a crims point of view they don't need a hack computer systems. they just need a check ya feed back, purchase what you are selling on the condition of pickup and then rob ya when they arrive
    Easy option for this is to agree not leave feedback for each other. That is what I've done in the past.
    308 and Paddy79 like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    Actually TM must have a database of firearms license numbers and be able to relate each F/A license number to a TM member.................if they didn't you would've been able to enter any F/A license number into the system before to ask a question or bid on a firearm. Yet TM members have commented they've been questioned or suspended when they have entered a different license number.

Probably why some don't use TM for buying/selling firearms..........they don't want their F/A license number entered into TM database.
    I have entered bullshit FAL numbers forever when viewing the questions and answers on a firearm sale. How new is this system?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I have entered bullshit FAL numbers forever when viewing the questions and answers on a firearm sale. How new is this system?
    Same here . When I couldnt be bothered fetching my license.
    Guess that makes me a criminal.