Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Un safety habits taught at Gun City.

Yeah pretty shit behaviour to have someone point a rifle at you, and stupid for the shop assistant / gunsmith to allow it to happen.

If people in GC think dumb behaviour is ok, then we'll be reading about dumb behaviour on the newspapers with people shooting each other, sign posts, the odd teacher, and so on.

Next time ask them to go out on the street and give it a try

One of the golden rules of firearm safety - always point your firearm in a safe direction! When I'm dealing with newbies etc I also tell them to never ever point your firearm at something you aint gonna shoot, and if you point it at me I will take it off you, take out the bolt and break the bloody thing around the nearest tree! And then never hunt with them again.
    This so called "pro" and newbie rifle owner were both way out of line and you were right in pulling them up on it. I would suggest you now let your wallet do the talking and not spend any more money in said shop.

It would have got the point across if you theatricaly dived behind the nearest display and accidently knocked it all over in the process

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

In two visits to gun city auckland, buying 3 rifles, the two bolt actions were attempted to be handed across the counter with mags in and bolts closed. They also refitted them to the rifles once purchased. I told them in no uncertain or easily misconstrued terms that I would not accept them in that state. The dumbfounded looks I received back confirmed their stupidity and complete lack of knowledge regarding gun safety. The second visit to purchase a semi auto, the action was never cycled to show it was empty and the mag was put in the rifle before they put it into the gun bag. Again saying "I'm not taking that" was met with a confused look. It's not that hard to train a monkey, surely there is some gun safety taught to a gun shop's staff?
    Last edited by peril 787b; 20-06-2014 at 02:45 AM.

As bad as this meat head
    Despite what he says its obvious someone is taking the picture.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunt...-744066868.htm

bas
    Back when Guncity had a store in Greenlane (cnr Greenlane west and Great South Road) there was an old style 50c sized hole in the ceiling. What had happened was that the Cormwall Park ranger was in the shop trying out a pump action shotgun, he'd managed to get a round up the spout but couldn't work the slid back. So he figured there must be a trick to it with the trigger and gave that a wiggle.....

Fortunately he was pointing the gun in a safe direction.

Mind you mistakes are also made by people who should know better. One experienced small bore shooter crapped her pants when she leaned in through the car window to pick up her rifle and it went off while the barrel was pointed in her direction!

These serve as reminders to always be vigilant!

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    It would have got the point across if you theatricaly dived behind the nearest display and accidently knocked it all over in the process

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    And at the top of my lungs with "Contact front!!!!!!" I like good theater

ages ago had the same experience in CHCH shop with one guy allegedly sighting in a scope.as i sidled past I quietly enquired if he thought i was of trophy class and possibly edible.one very apologetic and embarrassed staff member.

Quote Originally Posted by peril 787b View Post
    In two visits to gun city auckland, buying 3 rifles, the two bolt actions were attempted to be handed across the counter with mags in and bolts closed. They also refitted them to the rifles once purchased. I told them in no uncertain or easily misconstrued terms that I would not accept them in that state.
    So the bolt and mag were removed and checked? What was your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Walked into Gun City this arvo, I don't shop there except for really good specials but was going past after going to a job nearby.

At the "gunsmithing" counter was a newby having his new rifle prepped for him while he got the sell speel about the cleaning gear and other accesseries he needed. Was appalled to have the supposed professional hand mr newby, a rifle with the bolt in and closed, and tell him to have a look, which he did by pointing it at me, with his finger in the trigger well ..........

I had a word about safe habits, but it was shrugged off with" he was just trying to get the eye relief sorted".

So, the gunshop "pro" believes it is ok to point a rifle around, with the bolt in and closed,and he teaches the newby it is ok to do that.

As my verbal approach was shrugged off, I have sent them an email pointing out unsafe actions that become the habit is ummm, wrong.

In my email, I did tell them I will wander into their store tomorrow with my rifle, bolt in and closed, and will wander around the store looking around through my scope, I await the response with trepidation....... (not)

Am I, in the estemed evaluation of the forum members, being a little precious, perhaps my pretty little knickers a little tight today?, Or in fact, should good firearm safety habits be practiced at all time irespection of situation ?
    I would be pissed about having it pointed at me, couldn't give a shit about the bolt and mag being in.

Happens in most gun shops, I was in Sportsway Gunshed when they had a shop (now just an online site) when someone was trying out a handgun that was pointed my way... man I ducked for cover, they apologised but still they should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevs View Post
    Happens in most gun shops, I was in Sportsway Gunshed when they had a shop (now just an online site) when someone was trying out a handgun that was pointed my way... man I ducked for cover, they apologised but still they should know better.
    did they take aim at you or did casually stroll into their arc?

Quote Originally Posted by v1025566 View Post
    did they take aim at you or did casually stroll into their arc?
    I would say that I might of casually stroll into their arc but I was looking the other way at the time. But when I turned my head there it was pointing towards me.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    So the bolt and mag were removed and checked? What was your problem?
    My problem there is THAT IT'S ILLEGAL TO CARRY A FIREARM IN A PUBLIC PLACE OR A VEHICLE WITH THE MAG AND/OR BOLT IN PLACE. Don't you know your firearm regulations?

Have your say. Then its over. We shouldn’t get too precious. I’m pretty damned sick of seeing hunting pics of rifles on half cock leaning against trees or draped over animals pointing all over the place. What the hell is that about?

We need to clean our own act up a bit too. Remember the four fingers pointing at us, when we point one at Gun City or whoever. Our rifles are far more likely to be loaded than that one in a shop.