Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Website To Store Firearm Serial Numbers

Website To Store Firearm Serial Numbers

Came across www.snap.org.nz. Have found it pretty useful so far for storing serial numbers for firearms. Anyone else using this?

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Came across www.snap.org.nz. Have found it pretty useful so far for storing serial numbers for firearms. Anyone else using this?
    Had a look at it a couple of years ago when it first came out and was all poised to put everything in it - households, firearms etc. the lot. Then at the last minute I decided against it. The police having an association with it scared me off although it is not actually theirs. Yeah OK, I am paranoid, will just keep taking the pills.
    Local cop introduced us to it at a neighborhood watch meeting.

Have all my household stuff and FAs along with photos on a protected spreadsheet - yeah there are password crackers that would eventually get into it. File is stored on 3 different types of storage media and those are kept in separate secure places. Not all at home though, in case of fire.
    TheChosenOne likes this.

Heh @TheChosenOne don't be put off by my paranoia. Do you own research and see what other posters come up with.

Same as I didnít bother claiming a reduced contents insurance premium due to having an installed and monitored alarm. My insurance company wanted full details of my system. That was it for me but thatís how I am.
    madjon_ likes this.

All the Parimax guards might need a secure site to store their personal data
    Sako Rifles,Browning shotguns,Black Labs.There is nothing else

The dog always bites,The horse always kicks,The gun is always loaded.

" Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Heh @TheChosenOne don't be put off by my paranoia. Do you own research and see what other posters come up with.

Same as I didn’t bother claiming a reduced contents insurance premium due to having an installed and monitored alarm. My insurance company wanted full details of my system. That was it for me but that’s how I am.
    No one is going to get through SHA256 encryption to get your washing machines serial number
    TheChosenOne likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Had a look at it a couple of years ago when it first came out and was all poised to put everything in it - households, firearms etc. the lot. Then at the last minute I decided against it. The police having an association with it scared me off although it is not actually theirs. Yeah OK, I am paranoid, will just keep taking the pills.
    Local cop introduced us to it at a neighborhood watch meeting.

Have all my household stuff and FAs along with photos on a protected spreadsheet - yeah there are password crackers that would eventually get into it. File is stored on 3 different types of storage media and those are kept in separate secure places. Not all at home though, in case of fire.
    Dude get a Google account with Drive, or Dropbox or any other free cloud storage system. Storage media is so last year.
    Tommy and TheChosenOne like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

why would you want to store that sort of info electronically anyway?????
    whats wrong with a pen and paper????? stick envelope in your undie draw with serial numbers in it,write them in back of a book thats in the book shelf.
    poking them in the internet no matter how supposedly secure is just ..well dumb...its an unnecessary risk no matter how small.
    P38, sako75, northdude and 2 others like this.

Personally for me, its more about convenience and assurance. Sure, there are small risks involved, but if someone was out to get a serial number for a firearm (which you can't exactly do a lot with) they will have better chances of walking into a gun shop and picking up a book which they write serial and licence numbers in (which I don't think are secured that well, if at all). On the plus side though, if there was a house fire, making insurance claims is going to be a whole lot easier if the info was stored digitally.

This is my view anyways and I respect that other people will have different opinions about different methods.

Ive got all my serial numbers stored in my brothers gun safe on paper

P38
    I have two paper copies along with two USB flash drives containing photographs placed in envelopes and stored in different locations.

Cheers
    Pete
    zimmer likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

i have a file on my PC (well hidden)
    also on a flash drive stored at another property as well as printed photos with details written on the back.
    i dont put any info online or in "the cloud", remember if hackers could almost destroy sony they would have no problems finding other info
    zimmer and Micky Duck like this.

Website To Store Firearm Serial Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have a file on my PC (well hidden)
    also on a flash drive stored at another property as well as printed photos with details written on the back.
    i dont put any info online or in "the cloud", remember if hackers could almost destroy sony they would have no problems finding other info
    Doesnt matter how well you hide it if they nick your PC (which they probably will).
    I doubt some team of hackers are that desperate for your hunting rifle either. Im living happy in the cloud
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Dude get a Google account with Drive, or Dropbox or any other free cloud storage system. Storage media is so last year.
    Dude I currently have 3 Giggle acts and use free storage to take the load off my tablet memory. But I only put non important stuff there. If the choice was between cloud storage and the Snap system for critical filing I would go with Snap over cloud. To each his own I guess. Good aspect of forums, range of views expressed.

As Basil said in Faulty Towers "don't mention Wikileaks"

Dude I currently have 3 Giggle acts and use free storage to take the load off my tablet memory. But I only put non important stuff there. If the choice was between cloud storage and the Snap system for critical filing I would go with Snap over cloud. To each his own I guess. Good aspect of forums, range of views expressed.

As Basil said in Faulty Towers "don't mention Wikileaks"
    LOL good burn @zimmer. Yes you're right re forums. Good source of alternative ideas. I'm just not that convinced Assange or Snowdon is that bothered to see what WMD's I have in my meagre safe.
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    why would you want to store that sort of info electronically anyway?????
    whats wrong with a pen and paper????? stick envelope in your undie draw with serial numbers in it,write them in back of a book thats in the book shelf.
    poking them in the internet no matter how supposedly secure is just ..well dumb...its an unnecessary risk no matter how small.
    Keep a copy at someone else's place so you don't loose it if the house burns down. Same for hard drive/USB devices and gun safes

Another good reason for oldies not to keep life savings under mattress