Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Sapper

Thread: What you think people's ?

What do you think people's ?

Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I personally would of warned my neighbours.

"It is an offence to discharge a firearm in or around a dwelling and, even though it's a rural area, he's still within 80 metres of other houses.

Police just doing their job.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

If he's within 80 meters of other houses a common sense move would be to inform the occupants.

R93

What you think people's ?

It's getting worse and worse.
    I can remember taking a shotgun and rifle to school on the bus for outdoor education. Imagine doing that now!
    Sheltered, concrete dwelling spastics think living rurally is cool but have no idea what it's really about.
    They will continue to think there is no life outside their own little box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Wirehunt likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

On the other hand, accidental shootings have dropped significantly since that sort of thing has become less commonplace. Not that there's any evidence of causality.

R93

Not much to do with topic but was watching a program on Oz tv called
    Cramer & Son a family gun feud.
    Pretty dumb show but has some amazing antique weapons on it.
    The father a pom, has a clue but the son, yank, is a business man and seems to know nothing of the firearms he deals with.
    Anyway the son was holding an old flintlock pistol to one of his employees throats for a second while discussing them. The employee didn't seem to care at all. And they aired it obviously.
    To me it is proof of a different gun culture in the USA compared to the rest of the world.

With those idiots, for sure. All the American shooters I know are far more strict about safety than a lot of NZers. Most of them are young and educated and a lot weren't brought up shooting, obviously don't represent the whole spectrum. I think there are idiots everywhere, and safety needs to be aggressively promoted.

The offence is not "shooting near a house". The offence is made if the court considers that you frightened or annoyed somebody shooting near a house. So in today's namby-pamby world his neighbours must have been terribly upset or really scared. Simple phone call to next door would have sorted it, I think!

Discharging firearm, airgun, pistol, or restricted weapon in or near dwellinghouse or public place

Every person commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or to a fine not exceeding $3,000 or to both who, without reasonable cause, discharges a firearm, airgun, pistol, or restricted weapon in or near—

(a) a dwellinghouse; or

(b) a public place,—

so as to endanger property or to endanger, annoy, or frighten any person.

R93

Yeah shouldn't have and was not meaning too put them all in the same box.
    Have shot with US military teams and olympic members plenty of times. Very pro safety. I do believe however, their culture around firearms is different to ours.

Generally speaking, yeah, our culture is very hunting oriented, even down to the Arms Code/license test, they are hunting related to the point of half it being irrelevant to a person who is interested in target or casual shooting. I feel that it's detrimental and target shooting etc ought to be more encouraged.

US shooting culture is way more oriented towards self defence/fun target shooting/collecting as well as hunting

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    If he's within 80 meters of other houses a common sense move would be to inform the occupants.
    Pretty much this. To think it isn't a good idea these days is a bit naive IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    +1
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

@gimp, "hunting related to the point of half it being irrelevant to a person who is interested in target or casual shooting." I target shoot but I think of it as safety for the "worst scenario" like learning to drive a manual transmission car and getting a full licence allows you to drive an auto, but not the other way around, ie I can go hunting if I want to, so personally I dont mind. In terms of casual, well its like hunting I think its less safe than a range so making sure you can do it is good IMHO. One reason Ive not bothered with pistol again is its so restrictive, I wouldn't want my rifle licence like that and I'd suspect if we did that the do gooders would make getting a hunting licence very hard, Im sure we wouldn't want that..

Only my 2c....should have either talked to neighbours that where close, or put a 'flyer' in all his neighbours mailboxes to inform them....but were all wiser after the event.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    I concur, but feel the need to add "If within line of sight" as well. I am at the bottom of a valley and 3 Jaffa 1 hectare developments with their ride on mowers now overlook me. I can just imagine them looking out their floor to ceiling windows and seeing us moving over the land with "HORROR rifles........."

That would cause them to spill their lattes and hit 111.
    Scouser likes this.