Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: What's wrong with this picture...

R93
    There is no need imo, to check gun fit or eye movement for a novice shooter. Especially at a event where they will likely never follow up in the sport.
    Who cares how they shoot as long as they are safe.

I have personally only seen the practice used on seasoned and established shooters by coaches who are fault finding.
    If she is in fact checking a novice shooter out she is pretty keen.
    I used to help run corporate events like this myself out of chch and found just getting a few people to improve on their second go was all it took for them to enjoy it.
    Coaching or directing hits on mud pie targets is child's play no matter how the gun fits.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Dr. Watson and res like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Watson View Post
    Interestingly opinions seem about split 50/50 on wether or not this is a good idea or not.

Having run over 2000 novice shooters through clay shooting events you are just increasing the risk of getting shot ... You may run through 100 people in a day... It only takes one mistake and you'll be scooping bits of face off the ground.

You will never find me on a range down the business end of a firearm while someone else is holding it. Ever.

You guys can say what you will, I'd crack anyone who was 'fitting out my son' like that.
    Dan M

R93
    So you guys finding this unsafe have never looked thru any of your rifle/gun barrels from the muzzle end?

Savage1, gadgetman, ARdave and 7 others like this.

L.R
    You guys are dreamers. What about when you put your gun in a gun bag and then on the back seat of your car, how many people do you think the muzzle crosses path with? There is absolutely no issue with this if the gun is cleared and double checked with action open.

Danny ridiculous comment by the way....
    dirtyhabit, ARdave and Sideshow like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by L.R View Post
    You guys are dreamers. What about when you put your gun in a gun bag and then on the back seat of your car, how many people do you think the muzzle crosses path with? There is absolutely no issue with this if the gun is cleared and double checked with action open.

Danny ridiculous comment by the way....
    Good point. I have never really thought about that my self.
    On a long trip you could be sweeping hundreds of cars, pedestrians, cyclists and houses etc.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Good point. I have never really thought about that my self.
    On a long trip you could be sweeping hundreds of cars, pedestrians, cyclists and houses etc.

Yeah but you aren't hanging onto the business end aye....

Always got the shits in many Sporting good stores with firearms lying on/across the counter with the pointy end looking straight at me.....

Takes me right back to my initial, "take this over there & shoot some hares, just remember the bullet comes out of the pointy end, never ever point it at anything you don't want to shoot" ...good old Uncle Gray Me, I was 14 then, those were the days on the farm in the holidays

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

Always got the shits in many Sporting good stores with firearms lying on/across the counter with the pointy end looking straight at me.....

Takes me right back to my initial, "take this over there & shoot some hares, just remember the bullet comes out of the pointy end, never ever point it at anything you don't want to shoot" ...good old Uncle Gray Me, I was 14 then, those were the days on the farm in the holidays
    So that would have been.............................922BC ??
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93

True. It is all in how it looks. But in context does it matter if I am holding a firearm up looking thru the pointy end or if someone else is holding it for me. 2 people ensuring the firearm is clear and safe.

If you think about it, an auto or pump will/should have the action open.
    Double guns need to be shut.
    I have seen this done plenty of times at sporting and clay target events.
    And by competent English and Italian gunsmiths fitting guns in their booths overseas.

It looks bad and unnatural, I accept that, but it is a common practice.

If you know what you are looking for you can do it yourself in a mirror.

I would say if someone posted a pic of themselves looking thru a gun via the pointy end set up in a gun vice it would get a similar reaction on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    So that would have been.............................922BC ??
    I'm not that much older than you Mikee

I'm not that much older than you Mikee
    Well I arrived in 915bc or at least my body feels that old when its winter
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Yes even at the deer porkers range you walk in front of the unattended firearms... It is the bit about having someone hanging on to the rear end at the same time that seems wrong.

Yes R93 I have fired many blanks at people but always with a BFA fitted. Always wondered if the would save someone if a live ball round made it's way into the chamber.

Look I really think that this picture is very miss leading!
    Watson where you at this event?
    If so then please do enlighten us on weather this gun was safe!
    Other wise your post is really no better than what the TV did to gun city just generating bad press.

Don't mistake rilfe shooting for shot gunning as there are two very different practice's.

I've had both my shotguns fitted and really wish that someone had gone to the trouble of showing me this in NZ.
    With a fitted shotgun you will shoot so much better.
    No one expects a person to wear badly fitted boots, the shotgun is much the same.
    You will hit more and wound less which means that it is more humane.
    Also we all want to hit more
    How many have posted photos on here where your rifle has the bolt closed..which then shows a loaded firearm?
    If you are going to pose with your gun then make sure that it is seen to be SAFE!!
    Then your not left open to this debate

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Yes even at the deer porkers range you walk in front of the unattended firearms... It is the bit about having someone hanging on to the rear end at the same time that seems wrong.

Yes R93 I have fired many blanks at people but always with a BFA fitted. Always wondered if the would save someone if a live ball round made it's way into the chamber.
    Depends on a lot of things.
    I have seen BFA'S for M16, L1A1, gpmg, AUG, C9 and .50BMG all blown off when blank firing exercises go live.
    Some blew the muzzles and flash suppressors to bits other made a perfect caliber sized hole with no damage to the barrel.
    They could potentially kill at range imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Look I really think that this picture is very miss leading!
    Watson where you at this event?
    If so then please do enlighten us on weather this gun was safe!
    Other wise your post is really no better than what the TV did to gun city just generating bad press.

Don't mistake rilfe shooting for shot gunning as there are two very different practice's.

I've had both my shotguns fitted and really wish that someone had gone to the trouble of showing me this in NZ.
    With a fitted shotgun you will shoot so much better.
    No one expects a person to wear badly fitted boots, the shotgun is much the same.
    You will hit more and wound less which means that it is more humane.
    Also we all want to hit more
    How many have posted photos on here where your rifle has the bolt closed..which then shows a loaded firearm?
    If you are going to pose with your gun then make sure that it is seen to be SAFE!!
    Then your not left open to this debate
    So you want HIM to say that firearm is 'safe' now... Cool, no worries then.
    Dan M

Thought Id somehow ended up reading a Stuff article.....( involuntary shiver )
    veitnamcam, K95 and BRADS like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin