Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Advice please

Advice please

Have been to practice for upcoming bird season . Have done skeet and sporting and have had average results . Firstly my gun fits well enough , but I've worked out I'm shooting over top of targets ! Any one have any idears why ? Or how to correct it ? . And not just aim low ! .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

SiB
    I shoot 'one-eyed' - ie black-off lens to my non-targeting eye. Helped heaps
    NOBODY IS PERFECT - but if you're from Yorkshire you're pretty close
    The above was written slowly, for those of us who can't read quickly.

I'm from Canterbury, so one eyed is an option . Trouble is I've tried every thing , both eyes open , one closed , both closed , ! All in the same round . I probably need to do a complete round with one , then do another round with the other and results will determine .
    JoshC likes this.

If your gun shoots high in a manner that it detrimental to your shooting, then it doesn't fit you. Most like their guns to centre the pattern above the point of aim, but an excessive amount that means you have to adjust your shooting style is not helpful.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    If your gun shoots high in a manner that it detrimental to your shooting, then it doesn't fit you. Most like their guns to centre the pattern above the point of aim, but an excessive amount that means you have to adjust your shooting style is not helpful.
    M2 auto have adjusted with shims ,and patterned it. I should be bang on , but clearly am doing somthing wrong .

Shim to drop the shoulder end of the stock down, cover the target with the bead rather than the barrel?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Close your eyes and pull the trigger, gets me over the line!

Are you getting you're cheek locked down on to the stock? sometimes when snap shooting it all happens too quick and if you're not reacting quick enough you might not be locking down enough to get a proper line of sight...if that makes any sense?

Also what type of stock are you using?

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    M2 auto have adjusted with shims ,and patterned it. I should be bang on , but clearly am doing somthing wrong .
    Now go to a smith and get him to fit it to you properly. You've done this work to were you think is right, sounds like it's not to me.

Wish that was my problem, then I could float my birds as I'm prone to doing!

why would you think your shooting over the target? usually a common conclusion that people come to but not necessarily correct. Could be just as likely that you have stopped your gun on the target and shot underneath!

What are your scores like? if you havent done much clay shooting it can be demoralizing at first, they are a bit harder to hit than game birds, and when you miss it gets written down on a bit of paper! unlike when your duckshooting

If i was you i would be standing on skeet 1, get thrown high 1 a heap of times until you are confident you can nail it everytime, that will rule out shooting under or over the bird as you will have a decent sight picture sorted, then move to the crossing targets and sort your lead and what not.

Dont lift your head off the stock usually sorts out shooting over the target and keep following through the target, basic stuff but needs to be applied 100% or you will NEVER get better at shooting targets.

R93
    I agree with the above post, but if you are genuinely concerned, you need a proven shooter/coach to help you. No point banging away if you cant see whats definitely wrong. You need to identify and find a style of shooting that best suits you and run with that. At least untill you gain confidence to adopt other styles.
    I assume you have shot a Waihora duckshooters shoot? Has that been on yet? If not get there and ask guys you see at the top of the ladder regularily for some of their time. If you struggle to find anyone I know heaps of blokes there, that will help you if you ask. Burnham is another place with good sporting shooters. Get out there.
    Dont be like Mr Carl and sit in the bottom of C grade and then quit because he was to proud to ask for advice
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

When you pattern your gun. Don't aim. Just focus on the dot on the board, mount your gun and pull the trigger. Just like you would with a clay. If its not bang on after a couple of shots you need to adjust your stock
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Thanks guys. Have had a lesson so to speak . When I missed I was behind or above . Behind Im not concerned about I'm putting it down to practice . But can't work out why Im above . I should be able to sort it but thought it wouldn't hurt putting it out there as advice won't fall on deaf ears . Maybe I'm expecting too much from the little I've done . Will keep chipping away at it .
    R93 likes this.

I brought a real nice Beretta 20g and was a crap shot. was talked into joining a group of guys (a company of gentlemen actually) who have got together and brought there own traps (5 of em)
    I had real issues with 40 yard crosser's. Ended up taking a box of clays and a slab of ammo and spent an afternoon shooting. Presto problem solves. Was not giving it enough lead.
    I did find once I managed to achieve a consistent mount everything has improved markedly. I was moving my face down onto the stock, not lifting the gun up to my face if that makes sense. My very first round of clays was one out of 25 but now varies between 20-23 never managed a 25 yet.

I also shoot much better at simultaneous pairs. I think because there is no time to think?
    The guys I shoot with are very good at coaching me and don't seem to mind.

If you come up this way I would be happy to take you out, just pay for the clays or if you are here on the 28 april you can come out and shoot with all of us.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93
    Thanks guys. Have had a lesson so to speak . When I missed I was behind or above . Behind Im not concerned about I'm putting it down to practice . But can't work out why Im above . I should be able to sort it but thought it wouldn't hurt putting it out there as advice won't fall on deaf ears . Maybe I'm expecting too much from the little I've done . Will keep chipping away at it .

Are you shooting above mainly on crossing targets Munsey? No matter where the crosser is, or how fast it is, I am always seeing a fair bit under it. I reckon a good sporting/field gun should shoot 70/30 and by holding under a crosser it allows you to see it and address it better. I think you are just shooting literally too flat a style and its simple to fix.
    If your over the coast during early june I will have a look at ya for a bottle of Jameisons
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.