Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Anyone used steal shot on Rabbits?

Anyone used steal shot on Rabbits?

I'm heading over to Central Otago tomorrow to bowl over a few bunnies, Iv'e got 100+ rounds of steal shot left over from duck shooting so I thought I would take them with me to shoot the close ones. I have a pattern master so the choke will be tight, just wondering if the steal will have the knock down power. I am taking the .22 as well for the longer rangers. What's your thoughts?
    When hunting think safety first

it works but lead works better !
    veitnamcam, tetawa and Marty Henry like this.

Hitting them works best of all, just had to say it.
    22 may get you reliably out to 125 with luck.

Do the rabbits a big favour and get some lead shot. Rabbits do actually take a bit of killing, the first one you nail with steel and crawls away into the bushes screaming and clawing itself along will have you thinking .... bugger should have got some lead.

As with most animals you need to break bones to put them down.

BS..... I ve killed bunnies cleanly at measured 40 yards with steel 4s on enough occasions to know its not a fluke. really surprised me how well to be honest . just be plurry carefull around rocks as it will bounce.
    mikee, matto1234 and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Cheers Guys, looks like 50/50 on this one. I'll have a go and if successful I'll continue but if not then I'll just use the .22. Most of the shotgun shots will be very close so I'm sure at that range it will tip them up, just thought I would ask in case anyone had plenty of experience with steal shot on rabbits. Looks like you have had success Micky Duck so thanks for your input

Have used it. Works well but ricochets like a mother...
    mikee likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I got badly bitten by the Hunting and Thieving "You need to go up 2 sizes" slogan and so years ago when it came that we had to use steel I bought a hole bloody case of Remington No2 3" magnum steel .
    I blamed everything, I blamed the gun, the chokes , my shooting, however eventually I got it right, the ammo was crap, absolute crap
    In the end I used it for shooting rabbits and it was crap at that as well.
    I still have some, and it's still crap

I still use steel as we have to but back to 4's works ok ducks and rabbits.
    If I had a choice I'd hang onto that steel for next season and if you can afford to buy some lead for your trip over, it won't bounce about the country side so much and it will do a decent job on the rabbits.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

OK cool, thanks Guys

I nailed a bunny with a 3"34gm steel load a few years ago-oh shit oh dear a 20m chest shot side on.its goodbye to ribcage and what was left of organs looked like badly made raspberry jam.
    draw your own conclusions.
    Iquite likes me wee SXSwith trap loads for bunnies and pigeons!tally ho m'lud here come the blighters!
    FatLabrador and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Save it up for next year and have a go with running bunny's before duck shooting to get your eye in with steel. Or if your eye is already in with steel your shoot better than if u swap over to lead. Well that's if ur shooting then on the run

On two trips, went through over 200 rounds of very cheap steel 12ga 3 inch 1&3/8oz No. 2's, modified choke (effectively full choke for steel). Killed like lightening. Didn't notice any ricochet effect but I was not shooting around rocks. Seemed to do the trick out to about 50 yards without any crawl-offs. Only problem was the steel pellets in the cooked rabbit. We had to be very careful not to bite too enthusiastically due to the dental surprises here and there.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

the dogs go a bit sour on you when you feed them steel shot bunnies or hares.........

Here is my decision on the matter after field testing it myself: I was shocked at the knock down power and at good range, there were bunnies cartwheeling in all directions. I took some photo's on my phone but can't download them as the phone is shagged (I left the good camera at home unfortunately). I did take some proof home with me though so have uploaded some of the pic's. My conclusion is that the steal shot has more than enough knock down power as the rabbits didn't get up for seconds. I have always blamed steal shot for me missing ducks but after yesterday I have to put the misses on ducks down to poor shooting. I didn't have any trouble with the steal bouncing around either (could have been good luck?). I wanted to use up this ammo as I don't plan to go duck shooting this coming season.

Name:  IMG_7408.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  218.2 KBName:  IMG_7406.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  181.4 KBName:  IMG_7407.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  222.2 KB
    Shootm, gadgetman, res and 1 others like this.

Finally got my photo's off my phone, one clearly shows the damage and that was on the run at a good distance.

Name:  IMG_20170923_154504.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  236.1 KBName:  IMG_20170923_102500.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  214.9 KB
    Shootm likes this.