Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Baikal semi

northdude

Baikal semi

does any one have a baikal semi or had any thing to do with them im looking for a semi but havent had much to do with shotguns. Thanks in advance guys

I bought a Baikal MP-153 as my first shotgun and have never seen any reason to buy another - it's fantastic! I've fired everything from cheap 2-3/4" skeet loads up to heavy 3.5" goose slaying loads without any need to adjust the gas system and honestly treated it like garbage since picking it up from another shooter over 6 years ago. A bit of oil on a rag and a quick pull-through the barrel is all I've done to keep it from rusting after most outings to the swamp and she has only choked up on me twice, both times probably my fault for failing to clean out the gas system after leaving it to sit in the swampy water for too long while on the call.

Check out this video of the guy havin at er. He's being pretty nice to his Baikal but I can assure you they'll take more than that and run like a top, especially is you decide to take care of it!

Wirehunt likes this.

Reloaders are/were? doing a pretty sharp deal on them for 6-7 hundy it came wih a slab of ammo. I've never heard anything bad about them
    VIVA LA HOWA

I have had one for about 10 years now. Great gun for the money, as said above they are fantastic. I run the factory modified choke and #3 steel for ducks, works bloody well

My old man has had a MP-153 for over 15 years now, it has been retrieved by diving to the bottom of the lake (by yours truly - dutiful son that I am) used to paddle the dinghy in a few times, cycled for a week straight while covered in, as Johnny Cash says, "the mud, the blood, and the beer" and not once, in the whole time, do I recall him cleaning it other than running a pull-through up its pipe. Tough as, and rough as.

@upnorth uplander has one too, his is the first one I have seen jam, last season. He's obviously rougher on the gear than my old man is...

Get a baikal

i had one. served me well for a few years but sadly mine didn't like the 3,5 loads so much
    Wellsford Gameshooters Club
    GK Calls

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    My old man has had a MP-153 for over 15 years now, it has been retrieved by diving to the bottom of the lake (by yours truly - dutiful son that I am) used to paddle the dinghy in a few times, cycled for a week straight while covered in, as Johnny Cash says, "the mud, the blood, and the beer" and not once, in the whole time, do I recall him cleaning it other than running a pull-through up its pipe. Tough as, and rough as.

@upnorth uplander has one too, his is the first one I have seen jam, last season. He's obviously rougher on the gear than my old man is...
    Only jams with steel shot

northdude
    ok looks like it will be the one to look at im not a big shot gun shooter so dont want to spent a heap on a gun that i wont use much thanks for the replys everyone

get the mp153 synthetic stock.... lighter than wood my miles (or it just felt like it for me), plus the stock was much more suited to my dimension with the synthetic...

Baikal launched mp155 a while ago, last year or late 2012 if I recall correctly, they launched this with the aim of lowering the weight, instead of alloy trigger guard and other aluminum bits, they replaced it with plastic but the looks overall are the same.
    If I am informed right Reloaders weened the mp153 out with the deal that Toby is talking about because the new model was coming out. They didn't have any mp153 left last time I was there, but check you might get a new one for $699 or there abouts. The also didn't have the mp155 so not sure what the hold up is. I'd still get mp153 synthetic, it will be lower in price and the weight difference I think was about 200g. Personally I'd rather have alloy parts over plastic, and 200g doesn't make much difference when you are sitting in a mai mai...

the Russians use these guns for big game unlike us so walking through 2m deep snow all day with the gun is a different story...

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    Only jams with steel shot
    It is 12 yrs old and has had a few knocks

Reloaders have the mp155 in stock $749

They are very good guns & are well built very reliable too. If you are in Christchurch I may be able to hook you up with a secondhand one that has been used for skeet, wood stock mp153 in very good condition, belongs to a guy I coached.

He was talking $400-$500 with chokes & is only selling as he got a u/o skeet gun

northdude
    im not in christchurch im just north of auckland i like the sound of alloy parts over plastic not a great fan of parts of my gun made out of plastic if i cant get a mp153 i might look at a fabarm the other thing i forgot to mention is im a leftie