Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar

Best kids clay shotie

Whats a good shotgun for kids ( 9y + ) to get started into clay & bird shooting ?

had a look at a nice Yildiz S/S ( Im more of an O/U fan ) in 410, but do 410's have enough spread to be useable for clays or is it best to go 28g ( hard to get & hard to get ammo ) or go 20g which are a little heavier & kick a bit more

Ideas
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    20g is nice. I have a Benelli M2 in 20g that I use for all my shotgunning (apart from clays - 12g for that...). With a 26 inch barrel, its nice and light and quick pointing. Little felt recoil as well. I went into the shop to buy an ATA 20g and ended up with an M2...

The smaller gauges could be a waste of time I think. Unless you are a really good shot, not that much will fall out of the sky, which could become a little disheartening for someone starting out. I guess the flipside to this is that there is less recoil as you say, so the kid will be more inclined to want to shoot it...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

I'd go 28 or 20 gauge, as the claw said unless your a great shot the 410 sucks arse at clays, it was one of my most imbarassing moments shooting a 25/25 with a 12 gauge and then picking up a 410 and getting 6/25 at a local fun shoot.

Use a semi and recoil wont be an issue for them.
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

My son started using a Rossi single shot 410 a year or so ago. We have been to the local clay target club and he hits them regularly. We have also been to a simulated clay target event last year and he did well in some positions but not so well in others. I chose the rifle because he can put his 17HMR barrel on and chase possums in the night. So it's versatile but not the best it could be, I agree. It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I paid little for the Rossi and chopped the stock down to fit him properly and he still has fun. He now approaches 11 years and if he shows more interest I am willing to invest in a 20g pump action but he has to come and hunt lots of possums with me first!!!
    The gun is dangerous enough to be taken seriously but has obvious limitations ie range, number of shots etc but is a perfect training weapon. It's all about safety, lining up the claybird etc. I wouldn't mess with my boy if he carries his 410!!!!

R93
    Teaching a kid to shoot and shoot well can be very rewarding. My son is 9 goin on 10 not a big kid for his age and is using a 12g with 24 gram loads. I would never take him shooting at a club untill he is reasonably confident hitting a large % of the targets he is likely to face at a sporting or skeet field. I hope he hates shooting mudpies like me but hitting them will give a bit of confidence and it will keep them interested.

The Original Striker
    I used to use a rossi s/s .410 to good measure, it really makes you follow through and made me a better bird/clay shooter than if I started on a bigger shottie. make sure that they have the best hearing protection you can give them, the noise will affect their learning performance more than anything else
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    In order of boot

Single Shot
    Pump
    SxS, O/U
    Recoil auto
    Gas auto

No matter what anyone tells you, a recoil operated gun can NEVER by the laws of simple physics shoot softer than a gas gun. This was discovered over 100 years ago by Hatcher and some others.

Anyway... I have a wee dislike for the 20g; with clay loads its ok.. with bird loads it kicks like 40 barstards.
    Guns are usually lighter than 12g and the bird loads are basically magnums in their own right.
    Mate of mine found out 1st hand when he brought a single shot 20g for his boy, then took it out himself - 'told ya so!'

I'd look at something in gas 12g, that you can use, and that they also have a youth stock avail, or you can get a cheap Hogue or something from the US and chop couple inches off.

if you want ot start them on a 410 for noise etc.. then BORROW ONE - dont buy ... you'll be pretty sick of the cost and ineffectiveness of it quickly enough