Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do I keep or do I sell

Do I keep or do I sell

Hi guys, a few years back I was able to get my hands on a Webley and Scott Model 700 SxS in very good condition. The action was tight, the barrel internals were excellent, the mechanism all worked great and the woodwork was pretty good for a 70+ year old shotgun. I had been keeping an eye out for a decent SxS for a while, and wanted one for the occasional SxS shoot at sporting clays. It sat in my gun safe for a year or two because I intended to tidy it up before I used it and it has 2 1/2" chambers and ammo is pretty hard to come by. I was away for 4 months in BC so while I was away I had the stock refurbished and the metalwork tidied and reblued. I picked it up the other day and it looks amazing, it was in very good nick before hand but with 70 odd years of use and storage. It is all original other than being refurbished [period correct] and the original owner had replaced the butt pad with a rubber one that had gone hard, so I had it replaced with an English style red Pachmayr.
    Now my dilemma - I will probably never find another quality SxS in as good a condition but am faced with being rather short of funds for a while. Do I sell it? Or suck it up and hold on to it? Also anybody out there have any ideas on what it may be worth in NZ?
    Cheers, Husky

keep it, got any pics of it
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I'll keep it for you

Picture will be available, just gotta remeber how i go about it

As everybody is getting into semiautos I reckon that good sxs shotties are extremely cheap at the moment so if you sell you won't get much and you'd certainly regret it

my 2c
    mikee likes this.

Keep it.

It depends on if you are going to upgrade or need to just quit. I sold a very nice SXS but bought a very nice Double rifle, no regrets. At the end of the day, unless you are extremely lucky, it just another shotgun, basically steel and timber, if it has no sentimental value and you have enjoyed restoring it, if you can get good money sell it, later on there will always be another that will burn you.
    I own a Hollis single barrel 12 g worth about $100 but it belonged to my great grandfather and an old .22 Remington single shot Targetmaster that belonged to my father, again worth about $100.00 neither of those will ever be sold by me!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

they are a nice sxs,target in timaru produce 2 1/2 inch ammo, robbie tiffen of gunworks will give you a good slab price,shot size 4's and 7's. well i like sxs, that gun if you sell it you will never replace it.with the right buyer you could get $1000-$1200 for it,probably more in the usa. just pretend you don't have it,that way you remove the temptation to sell.

All of my 12 gauges are 2 1/2 chambered, Kilwell stocks ammo for them, readily available.

As for the value of your gun, here in NZ, not much. Just keep it and enjoy it

They're worth about $1000 in the uk,fairly sought after

Short term your wallet might hurt but don't sell a toy you are not likely to find again. Hold onto it mate.
    mikee likes this.

res
    Keep it unless you desperately need the funds or don't actually want it anymore.

I have sold guns to fund all sorts of things over the years and in most cases have regretted it.

I'm inclined to say that if your wondering what it's worth then you probably don't need the cash that bad as if you did you would be putting on tardme at $1 reserve to get what it is truly worth to others on the day when you need the cash.
    Using Tapatalk

I own two WC Scott & sons 'premier' grade guns. While they fetch good money overseas both of these were brought here for under $200. What it is worth elsewhere doesn't dictate what you will get for it here

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I own two WC Scott & sons 'premier' grade guns. While they fetch good money overseas both of these were brought here for under $200. What it is worth elsewhere doesn't dictate what you will get for it here
    Ah but have yours ever been cleaned?
    Pointer likes this.

Not by me no. Because I haven't shot them