Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Shall I make a start..?

Shall I make a start..?

Hi all,
    Finally it looks like I’ll have my first NZ firearms licence in a few days!! I've got quite good experience with shotguns overseas but almost nothing in NZ. So, I’m wondering now what I’m going to do with this FAL. I think I will not go for the big game first thing, maybe later. I prefer to start with what I already know. Bird hunting, a little bit of target shooting and maybe some rabbit-hare.

Maybe you people can suggest me what opportunities for shotgun hunting are available around. I’m looking only for public land at this stage because I don’t know any land owner and I’m not very keen on knocking doors.
    So, can I go on DOC or fishandgame managed land and shoot rabbits, hares, geese and/or any of the unprotected species listed on schedule 5 of the wildlife act?
    What is your personal opinion? Is there good opportunities for shotgun hunting-shooting or I maybe better go … buy a guitar..?
    Cheers.
    Hot barrels.

Contact D.O.C They will be able to give you the best information on where you are allowed to have a shotgun. Not all Public accessible land allows shotguns. Good luck
    Toby likes this.

For the love of god, go buy one quick. I used to hunt wabbits in the Rakaia riverbed with a shottie. brilliant.
    Was close enough when we lived in Ashburton to go out in the summer evenings after work
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

A guitar might get you laid but a shotgun will keep you fed.
    veitnamcam, Dundee, Toby and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    And most likely the end result will be less in the long run.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

WHen youre sorted with FAL &1shotty PM me and ill help you through the rest.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    For the love of god, go buy one quick. I used to hunt wabbits in the Rakaia riverbed with a shottie. brilliant.
    Was close enough when we lived in Ashburton to go out in the summer evenings after work
    Interesting. I've been to the Rakaia ones for a walk and have a look and I saw a nice hare and some geese but I didn't know if shooting is allowed because I read that as about Waimakariri rabbit shooting is prohibited. Only bird shooting in Waimak but I've seen nothing there. Only people driving, walking, biking, speedboating etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    WHen youre sorted with FAL &1shotty PM me and ill help you through the rest.
    very kind of you

Due to the area you want to hunt having, and I quote,...people driving, walking, biking, speed boating etc...do you really think that that is a good place to take a shot gun for a blast?
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Due to the area you want to hunt having, and I quote,...people driving, walking, biking, speed boating etc...do you really think that that is a good place to take a shot gun for a blast?
    In fairness ,it's a very vast area 150 ks long with gorse and scrub and willow mostly . There are areas to hunt safely with a shotgun . I hunt quails over my dog with limited success up river .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

What kind of shotgun are you getting? or intending to get. I could help you with gun fit if you wish so its suitable for clays & game

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Name:  1238914_701583499856654_1737510300_n.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  33.2 KB
    Gapped axe and Christos like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    In fairness ,it's a very vast area 150 ks long with gorse and scrub and willow mostly . There are areas to hunt safely with a shotgun . I hunt quails over my dog with limited success up river .
    and the Rakai is not far away and lots less people in the middle reaches
    Christos likes this.

buy a shottie and join a clay target club, you will soon learn to hit what moves if not you can always push it
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Nop, that is no good place for shooting. This could be the 8th rule. "Don't go shooting in a place where other people are driving, walking, biking, speed boating etc"... but as Munsey says even if its a narrow strip, its a very long area and probably there are some good safe spots somewhere that I don't already know

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Da Browning View Post
    What kind of shotgun are you getting? or intending to get. I could help you with gun fit if you wish so its suitable for clays & game
    A very cheap one.. can be even single shot Are you a gunsmith?!
    Last edited by Christos; 19-12-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    so I guess you're saying that a guitar can keep you fed also....
    Petros_mk, Dundee and eve like this.