Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By jakewire

Thread: shot gun choices

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

shot gun choices

Who down Oamaru way would be the best person to talk to regarding sporter shotgun choices.
    Looking at Miroku Mk10 and Beretta sliver Pigeon 1 sporter.
    Don't mind travelling Dunedin -Christchurch to ensure correct gun and fit is achieved, but if there is someone right here.
    Can go to the local club so that option being explored.

Anyone any preference for either of these guns over the other, not really sure If I can run to the 4k needed for the Browning.
    The Miroku runs$ 2999 and up depending on wood etc
    the Beretta $3200+200 depending on field/sporter configuration and barrel length.

Barrel length for sporter, 28/30/32?
    All my reading suggests at least 30" with 32 just more of a good thing.
    Wouldn't 32 be a bit long for skeet, just saying, as I know little about it.
    Last edited by jakewire; 04-10-2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I am happy to fit a shotgun to you & am in Christchurch. I know of a few nice guns available at the moment to suit different budgets & can have some made available to test fire/basic fit. Will PM you.

Excellent ta
    I have just been talking with James Robertson about choices does anyone know him?

Bearing in mind I may have mucked this up but If I understood him correctly he is suggesting it is easier to buy trap and make it fit for skeet than buy sporting and make fit for DTL etc
    mikee likes this.

This might help a bit

But best advise it to visit a club who will hopefully be very helpful, let you try a few different guns and generally not try and sell you something.
    Most gunshop salesmen will tell you the more expensive one will fit best!!

I shoot a Browning 725 Sporter, Have tried a Miroku Mk10 as my brother has one and also own a Beretta SP3 in 20g

I only use the 725 for Sporting Clays (I only shoot sporting), everything else I use the 20g.

Fit Browning is very similar to the Miroku for me. Beretta feels a little different but then its balance is slightly different due to the action

Remember Its hard to get a proper fit if you gun mount is not consistent.

If you were closer you would be welcome to have a burn on both mine. I paid $3800 cash for my 725, with a free slab of ammo
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Da Browning View Post
    I am happy to fit a shotgun to you & am in Christchurch. I know of a few nice guns available at the moment to suit different budgets & can have some made available to test fire/basic fit. Will PM you.
    There ya go, thats an offer to take advantage of
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Thanks Mikee
    I have watched that very interesting.

The above James has lined me up with a couple of Beretta, including an SV10 a Miroku an AKKar amongst others to have a try with
    When i first started enquireing as per my other thread I was thinking skeet only, and nearly all said I could just used my Maxus for this.
    True but I now think there is more to this than just skeet, so am willing to broaden my horizons a litle.
    mikee likes this.

I know James Robertson hes a top bloke.

Thanks for your help Bob. I'll be in touch again
    Cheers

No worries, I look forward to catching up & chasing some clays