Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Shotgun Choice

Shotgun Choice

Ok guys, here's a good couple of questions regarding shotguns and their purchase...

What shotgun did you buy?
    Why did you choose that particular shotgun?

Interested as it's getting very close to duck shooting and there may be a few out there looking to upgrade (me ) or purchase their first shotty.
    What recommendations/advise do you shotgunners have?
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Ejected
    The flash ones don't get more birds. Get it fitted properly, or at least the best you can.

I bought ATA for the auto and can't remember the breed of SXS, both in 20 ga. Shoot as many or more than the flash as 12 ga sitting beside me in the mai mai, and he is a fucking good shot.
    The ATA holds six as standard in 20, don't know about the 12 ga. So no mag extensions etc needed, unlike those expensive ones.

I've heard a few good things about those ATA's.

Any particular reason you went for a 20g rather than a 12g Wirehunt?
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

perazzi, get a perazzi!

My first real duck gun (once i had out grown the 410 single shot) was a remmy 870 pump, i killed some serious amounts of shit with that and still do. I have used an extrema for a season and a benelli M2 for a season, personally i like the feel of the berettas but i still grab the benelli from the safe as it has a 8shot mag extender.

If you want to go down the inertia route i would probably just get a stoeger for $1000 (approx) instead of spending $2500ish for a benelli, same gun basically, both kick a lot more than your gas operated semi's like the berettas.

Im seriously considering getting a beretta A400 as they are seriously nice to shoot, but it is a lot of cash to folk out

I have always used a 12g. Just cheaper ammo here thats all.

I have a GC 870 . For the price I paid and the shit I gave it last year its still going strong.
    My little bro has a Stoeger P350 I love that thing then there is the U/O Bikal I have in the
    Cupboard. Use that sometimes. Sold my SxS but regert it as I shot really good with it.

Looking at getting a new SxS at some point. A Yeildz or Khan something like that they look
    Good and price is right.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Ejected
    Ammo is lighter and less bulky so I can carry a lot more. Kicks less, better sight plane, swings heaps easier because of the lighter gun.

R93
    Personally I dont think you can go past an M1 or M2 benelli for an auto. We have used the M1 super 90 on venison and rabbit control for as long as I can remember. The original one bought in mid the 90's is still going strong as are the others which are newer.
    If your after a double gun I doubt I will be of use, I run an F3 Blaser. I like the flasher type guns, Blaser, Perazzi, Fabbri and Caesar Guerini. I hear Yilditz make reasonable doubles.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Ejected
    I had one of the first M2's here after using a mates M1 and loving it. That M2 I couldn't hit shit with it, just never able to get it setup right.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    I had one of the first M2's here after using a mates M1 and loving it. That M2 I couldn't hit shit with it, just never able to get it setup right.
    I hear ya. I prefer the M1 as it is what I have used the most. There is certainly a difference between the M1 and M2 as far as they feel. The M2 20g is growing on me. My son will have it set up for him so I will go back to a 12g for now.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I started with a GC 870 a couple of years ago, was a cheap intro to see if this knackered old body could handle a shottie. After getting the initial feeding issues sorted by Greg Meniatis (sp?) it has been flawless and whatever I pointed the thing at seemed to fall down. I took Greg's advice and upgraded to something better and bought a genuine Rem 870 second hand. Better quality and I bought a set of Briley chokes to go with it; the GC 870 seems to fit me better and I shoot the cheap thing better. Finally bit the bullet about a year ago and bought a very second hand (10's of thousands of rounds by first owner) Fabarm Lion H368 Italian gas operated semi. Really nice to shoot, very soft recoil, and with my Scottish blood a lot less expensive that the other Italians.

Sing out if you want to try them out.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

A shotgun manufacturer that starts withe the letter B is a good start i.e. Browning, Benelli, Beretta Miroku were always a superb U/O before the advent of semi auto's. I had a Miroku SXS that I enjoyed for a number of years.
    I have been down the path of cheap shotguns -Gaucha, Lanber, ATA
    Currently have a Browning Gold Hunter 30in 76mm and this won't be leaving the gun cabinet I like the extra length compared to a 26 or 28in

I have a Benelli M2 , I had to pattern it to get the stock shims sorted now it shoots perfectly to point of aim , I use it for bird control in the Vineyard and fire about 250 shots a day for 10-12 weeks depending on how fast the grapes are harvest , it has fired 90000+ shots in the last 5 years and still works perfectly and shows little external wear , as a back up and loaner gun I have a Winchester black shadow because it is cheap and reliable and very fast ,but dont need it use it . I have a Remington Wingmaster 20ga and a Beretta 470 double 12 ga , as well as a single shot 410 .
    If I was only alowed one gun it would be a Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 28" barrel , the 870 expresses are fine but the Wingmaster is supurb , that is my next shotgun purchase .
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

I have a mossy 88. Got it because it was cheap and have used one before. It takes 500 series barrels, so was easy to convert between the 28inch and something smaller for bunnies. Also because it had chokes.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I had Benelli M2, Beretta xtrema and urika, of the three preferred the urika but now have the Browning maxus and I shoot better with it than any of the others
    Nothing wrong with the other guns just find the Browning better for me.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Just do what I did Cambo when I couldn't decide. Bought both the Benelli M2 and Beretta Xtrema KO. You won't regret it!
    Yell out if you want to try them.