Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Munsey
  • 1 Post By southernman
  • 1 Post By Bugbait
  • 1 Post By Pointer
  • 1 Post By mawzer308
  • 1 Post By Towely

Thread: Solid Slugs for 20g

Solid Slugs for 20g

Ii

I stole this pic off another thread . If anyone knows where I can get some, or simular I'm keen on a packet . It appears my bird dog was a pig dog in another life , and its only a matter of time before I'm facing a bailed pig with only n.o 6 bird shot . Has to be 20 g .
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

hillclima and southernman like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Was looking at getting some of these the other day for Samber, but was wondering what size choke you needed as have been told that you could only shoot them through open chokes?

Quote Originally Posted by hillclima View Post
    Was looking at getting some of these the other day for Samber, but was wondering what size choke you needed as have been told that you could only shoot them through open chokes?
    Having lived in a country with shotgun only zones, I have played with slugs a bit, even have a slug reloading manual,
    I would use a slight choke, 1/4, 1/2, modified, ok, lead slugs will normally be ok in a full choke, but significty more recoil, I wouldn't try any copper based slugs in a full choke,
    Have shot a few deer, and one pig with 12ga or 20ga slugs, straight pass threw, big hole, quick bleed out and no blood shot meat,
    hillclima likes this.

Hi there, is your 20g barrel rifled? I have fluffed around with slugs in my 12g cylinder bored shotty and without rifling the sabot type slug(Hornady sst) don't stabilize, I've had good accuracy out of the Brenneke type slugs(they fly like a shuttlecock). I also tried the Winchesters and they shoot well also, faster and sharper recoil.
    The big gunshop in Christchurch has seller & bellot and Winchester in 20g for $12 & $20 respectively, however out of a 20g the Remingtons(if you can find some) might fly o.k., impacting sideways will definitely kill anything.
    Good luck slugs are fun.
    Munsey likes this.

You could have grabbed a few while you were up here last time Munsey. I brought a box as I'm always bumping into pigs and deer in one spot I hunt pheasant in. Handy to have a couple in your pocket
    Munsey likes this.

Yeah those slugs are sabot and only intended for firing in a rifled slug barrel. You will need the foster type slugs which have grooves on the projectile to impart the spin.
    Munsey likes this.

Most 20 ga rifled slugs are sold in 5 round boxes.
    Buy as many different brands as you can of just one 5 round box each.
    Give them all a try for accuracy for what your shotgun likes.
    Then buy a few boxes and always have a couple of rounds on hand especially when wandering around the Canterbury river beds.

My Browning pump action 20 ga loves the Winchester Super X 3/4 OZ load and places them on the bead at 50m and around 150mm low at 100m.
    Its pretty lively with the recoil and doing around 1500 FPS from a 22" barrel.

Some of the other ones I tried were very slow by comparison and hopelessly inaccurate.

223nut likes this.

Great article @Towely have thought about using slugs when I do my possum lines on private property on the island. May have to find a rifled barrel for my 870 looking at those results

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Great article @Towely have thought about using slugs when I do my possum lines on private property on the island. May have to find a rifled barrel for my 870 looking at those results
    I looked into that. Was cheaper to buy a new one with the rifled barrel.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I looked into that. Was cheaper to buy a new one with the rifled barrel.
    Yea me two, on my win SX3 20ga, but try in your smooth bore first, it may surprise you,
    I have a 16ga semi, and fair 16ga U/O both will group 3-4" with slugs at 50m 4 shots, with std shotgun sights, my 20ga SX3 isn't quite so good, about 5-6", at 50m, no deer or pig is safe at that, to 75m or so. 100m on a good day or if I have the auto,

have a suizz on trademe as guy on there sells cast slugs...might do .20ga aswell. why not do yourself a few rounds of oo buckshot????
    and your #6 at very close range as in 2-3yards will still be inside the wad and go in like a golfball...try it sometime,Ive seen a few pigs shot that way and even pulled the wad out of neck!!!!
    done it to wallaby with the .410 at that range and yip wad went in too.
    for the very very rare occasion you are likely to need it your 00 will do the job at under 10 yards with ease...also look at ball sinkers and see if you can find one that fits in your wad and will roll out barrel/choke with bit of room to spare,if you aren't a reloader yourself,open a loaded shell and tip out shot and replace with ball then refold petals as best you can.it wont be super accurate but will do the job.