Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Sporting Shotgun

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

Sporting Shotgun

Hi
    I need some assitance as to whether these guns are suitable for sporting shooting
    I've still not got my head around what actually constitutes a sporting gun as opposed to a skeet gun or trap gun apart from what I have read here and on the net which tells me a trap gun has a much higher rib as you are usually shooting going away clays.

So to this end I've been googling guns from Browning, Baretta and Fabarm which have "Sporting" or Sporter after the brand name.
    Farbarm make a Axia RS 12 Sporter
    Browning a 725 Sporter and
    Barretta a confusing array of sporter guns.

Now in a small town in the south it's not like you can just go down the strreet to a shop and try these guns for size nor could I just ask the local guy to get 7-10K+ worth of guns in just for me to look at and should a couple of times.
    So a question or three
    How does one go about aquiring and getting a gun such as these that you can be assured it fits etc
    Are any of the above brands better or decidedly worse than the others,
    finally
    Realisticlly, is near mid 50's in age to late to get into shooting, whether it be sporting or skeet, without any background at all except gameshooting as there is no point spending that sort of money if it's just a waste, I might as well spend it on LR rifle and scope set up.
    Thanks.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Realisticlly, is near mid 50's in age to late to get into shooting, whether it be sporting or skeet, without any background at all except gameshooting as there is no point spending that sort of money if it's just a waste, I might as well spend it on LR rifle and scope set up.
    Definitely not, get into it
    How does one go about aquiring and getting a gun such as these that you can be assured it fits etc
    A visit to the local (or any GunClub) can help with this, along with the fact generally folks are willing to let you have a try with their guns at a few clays. Even better if you can do a round.

I shoot a 725 Sporting because it was the closest fit out of the box, and it was quite good value for money.

But I only shoot sporting and am a member of a group of shooters with our own traps and layout so I don't regularly shoot at the local GC
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

jakewire, my 5 bobs worth too. ABSOLUTELY get into it. I think its a great sport and you can go to any level you like.
    Only duck shooters days, plenty of them around NZ most of March and all of April. Or aim higher NZ Champs or even travel to Aussie for their shoots as some of us do. And if you are really mad, as some of us are, you can attend and shoot at a World Championship, compete along side the best of the best, probably be squadded with some of them. It is totally up to whatever level you want to go to.
    As to shotguns I'd try a couple, before you part with hard cash. Personally Browning (I have 2 in 16 ga) great value, reliable guns. Beretta sure there are many variations around and always a few on the market. Zoli and Maimai supplies (The Mai Mai Supplies) are right up on the Sporting world, and I gather are really good to deal with. Face book page with shotgun models.
    Blazer are very popular at the moment with low and high rib models, and offer a good fitting when buying new. Stager Sports Alexandra (Stager Sport NZ Ltd, Sporting Goods, Alexandra) and Greg Manaitis Gunsmiths in CHCH are their agent.
    Not sure where you live/shoot but a visit to a Sporting shoot would sort you out.
    There are always guns for sale around the shoots, eg a Perazzi with 2 sets of barrels for sale by one of our members, and on and on.
    Just make sure you get a good make that can take the continuous punishment of Sporting shooting. Some of the lesser names can't really take the punishment at the level we can give it out. Fine for duck shooting or a couple of times a year in a paddock.
    Buy the very best you can afford, it will pay dividends and hopefully have it fitted, another whole new subject!!!
    mikee likes this.

Thanks Guys
    There has been some development today since I posted this
    I got onto the webb site that you linked me to in the other thread Madds and although the detail for the local contacts are old I was able to speak to a past president of the Oamaru/Waimate club, which happily is only 25K up the road and even more happily is having a shoot tomorrow.
    He put me onto a guy whom I've known for years, but who I didn't know was involved in this so I've just come back from seeing him
    He's going tomorrow .
    He let me have a look at a few older guns he had, Miroku 7000, Winchester 101, Shadow etc plus his flash Berretta and will put a couple in for me to try tomorrow.
    Upshot is I'll be heading up tomorrow and will take my Maxus for a run as well.
    Thanks for the help.
    Mikkee, PM incoming.

Don't let age put you off. Have a look at the average age of the NZ team. At 50 you'll be a spring chicken compared to some of them

Also, are you left or right handed? I know where there is a mint condition 692 in left hand for sale.
    Last edited by Proudkiwi; 13-12-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks Proudkiwi but I'm right handed

No worries

I would think the Maxus will do the job just fine ,why by another gun. Your already ahead of the game with a gun your familiar with .
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I would think the Maxus will do the job just fine ,why by another gun. Your already ahead of the game with a gun your familiar with .
    By all means great advice
    Except when you start shooting more than just an occasional round of clays (and as silly as it sounds) you soon get tired of picking up empties when using a "dirty gun"
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

get a perazzi

A mate of mine shoots a maxus for clays and ducks he would have put 1-2000 rounds through it in its first year great gun been reliable since he does minimal cleaning . As for picking up rounds he carries a magnetic pickup stick haha

I beat him with it the first dtl shoot we did he wasnt so keen to let me shoot it after that

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    get a perazzi
    Why pretend? Just buy an F3 and become an instant double A grade shooter.
    You will always be stuck in B grade with a Perazzi😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Ground Control likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    You will always be stuck in B grade with a Perazzi��

lol

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    You will always be stuck in B grade with a Perazzi��

Or a A1 Broadrib & add an adjustable comb seem to work too .
    Gun control means using both hands