Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Summer Shotgun Practicing

You will be more than welcome. We are running a 'fun' type day, on Mon 16 February 100 targets Sporting which may be perfect.
    The real competition NZ Champs and International GP are unfortunately for NZCTA and FITASC members only.
    You would be more than welcome to shoot the Monday if you wish. No panic let me know closer to the time.

so a forum member got in touch with me, took the Saturday afternoon to show me few things and introduce me to skeet which I've never shot before, initially i thought its too hard to hit speeding clay from side to side but I was impressed by my shooting for the first time round.

Covered some basics, met few people. Todd Bender was there doing a clinic with some pretty experienced skeet shooters, exchanged few nods here and there, spent some time behind their shoulders watching how they shoot....

Bit hooked now hahahaha...50 targets went by pretty quick, especially when I kept forgetting to switch off my safety...lol... fun times...

Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    so a forum member got in touch with me, took the Saturday afternoon to show me few things and introduce me to skeet which I've never shot before, initially i thought its too hard to hit speeding clay from side to side but I was impressed by my shooting for the first time round.

Covered some basics, met few people. Todd Bender was there doing a clinic with some pretty experienced skeet shooters, exchanged few nods here and there, spent some time behind their shoulders watching how they shoot....

Bit hooked now hahahaha...50 targets went by pretty quick, especially when I kept forgetting to switch off my safety...lol... fun times...

If you got some tips from Todd Bender then you are a lucky man .
    He is one of the best Skeet shooters on this planet .

Ken
    Petros_mk likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Hooked now aye Pete Will do wonders for your game shooting

Summer practice, Greymouth club are running a very informal Compak shoot on 17/18 January.
    It is set out as a proper Compak shoot, but no emphasis on competing just enjoying yourself.
    I'll try and get a flyer on to this page!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by madds View Post
    Summer practice, Greymouth club are running a very informal Compak shoot on 17/18 January.
    It is set out as a proper Compak shoot, but no emphasis on competing just enjoying yourself.
    I'll try and get a flyer on to this page!
    You're starting to do this on purpose now!
    I am at work till the 23😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Hooked now aye Pete Will do wonders for your game shooting
    haha... its all part of the game...
    Come May 2015 we'll see the difference...

Name:  WC Compak.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  159.2 KB

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I have to admit to getting keener and keener on this shotgun business, awhile ago I had a go at trap and skeet courtesy of the Fairle gun club and I really enjoyed the day [ and the night].
    I've been looking at guns and posted a question here awhile ago about the different types of guns, Ie Sporting as opposed to trap etc as I didn't know the difference., just last night I googled gun clubs in nz without too much success, looking for a closer one, I believe Waimate has one though not too sure.
    Sorry about the thread hijack, just got enthused.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

nice to see a change in your thoughts since page one bro.
    been tempted to get another gun and start doing it again myself.

jakewire, have a look at the NZCTA website: NZCTA affiliated clubs or the calendar: NZCTA calendar
    Not all clubs put their events on the calendar, make you wonder really, but it will give you some idea of whats going on.
    Geraldine are having a Compak shoot tomorrow week (14th Dec) at their club grounds, Tiplady Rd. Geraldine.
    Don't worry about that trap and skeet business, Sporting is the way to go, lot more fun and social, you can actually laugh during around with our sport!!!
    jakewire likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    nice to see a change in your thoughts since page one bro.
    been tempted to get another gun and start doing it again myself.
    Why the hell not. Do it!!!!! Lol

Yea its been good I have to admit. Im just cleaning the gun from this morning shooting. Shot few tricky doubles I didnt think I was capable of. Quite pleased...

Yildiz 20g seems to do the job just fine

So Petros_mk, we'll see you on the Coast in January. see how a real friendly Gun club operates!!
    Glad you 'anti' clubs are good enough, and honest enough to say your experiences were not too bad.
    It takes a bit of guts to openly change your views, even halfway.
    Some clubs, like most places, work very hard to attract punters, some not so good I admit.
    Especially those who consider them their own personal play ground and resent 'intruders'. They won't be round much longer.

So Petros_mk, we'll see you on the Coast in January. see how a real friendly Gun club operates!!
    Glad you 'anti' clubs are good enough, and honest enough to say your experiences were not too bad.
    It takes a bit of guts to openly change your views, even halfway.
    Some clubs, like most places, work very hard to attract punters, some not so good I admit.
    Especially those who consider them their own personal play ground and resent 'intruders'. They won't be round much longer.
    Ehhhh if I'm wrong about something I'm wrong... live and learn...
    Tho, talking to people at the club apparently DTL is not very social anyway (in comparison to Skeet), which explains why I didn't like it the first time I went there...I still don't get why tho...

Either way, as of last Saturday morning I am now an annual member of the clay shooting club.... as if I don't have enough hobbies as it is .

Saturday was interesting, I shot some interesting targets that I thought was way to fast for me. Ended up shooting some Station 2 & 6 doubles (if I remember correctly). but at the same time I missed some stupid things like station 1 and 7 single clay.... I found that in controlled environment I can see the basic things I did were wrong. A lot of the missed targets I did on the weekend was because the butt of the stock was catching on my vest and the mount wasn't right when I pulled the trigger. Couple of times I didn't have a proper swing, I was chasing the target by which time I was too late for the second clay...

Another thing I noticed, after shooting some good successive clays, I started dropping my guard a bit thinking "I GOT THIS". Overconfident at times, so I missed the next lot. hahaha... Rookie stuff...
    Its good tho that I shoot with a dude from the club, he tends to stand behind me and sees where I go wrong.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    jakewire, have a look at the NZCTA website: NZCTA affiliated clubs or the calendar: NZCTA calendar
    Not all clubs put their events on the calendar, make you wonder really, but it will give you some idea of whats going on.
    Geraldine are having a Compak shoot tomorrow week (14th Dec) at their club grounds, Tiplady Rd. Geraldine.
    Don't worry about that trap and skeet business, Sporting is the way to go, lot more fun and social, you can actually laugh during around with our sport!!!
    Thanks madds,wonder if I,ve got where I went that time mixed.
    What sort of Gun for sporting.
    What is a compak shoot.
    Cheers.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?