Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Who owns a clay thrower and how do you rate it ?

Who owns a clay thrower and how do you rate it ?

Calling any forum members who own or have owned clay throwers, manual or auto, excluding the old hand thrower.

So after another exciting session in a paddock with a manual clay thrower, I'm now looking at buying one myself.

What are people using these days and how do you rate, review them ?

I see the usual GC selling their brand, but when you look at it, it looks like a generic setup branded by a couple of companies as well which are listed on trade me.

There are some pyramid framed manual throwers, I assume they are better than the ground based ones?
    Do I go for the easy 3/4 cocked with one hand or choose the full cock that requires a bit of a work out.

I see the auto throwers look great but it's all those pesky add ons that make them great.

Any suggestions, pictures, pros-cons would be helpful.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

R93
    I have 2 acorn rapid fire traps.
    Had them for over 10 years.
    They will throw any type of target you want including rabbits.
    Never looked after or maintained them. They still work perfectly.
    Great machines imo and experience with them.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Survy likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

We have mainly Promatic's 8 of them out of the 9 we have. Not sure what brand the remaining one it but has 300 clay "magazine" as do all the others .
    They get well used and generally give no trouble.

Originally had release button on 50m cable but now all are wireless release via a single controller

We really only shoot Sporting Clays in our little group so the setup is really tuned to that
    Survy likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Thanks R93 and mikee, those brand names popped up on my search, autos are undoubtedly fantastic, but I don't think I could part with the $$ just yet without the missus noticing especially if it's supposed to be my first clay thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by Survy View Post
    Thanks R93 and mikee, those brand names popped up on my search, autos are undoubtedly fantastic, but I don't think I could part with the $$ just yet without the missus noticing especially if it's supposed to be my first clay thrower.
    If you buy one and it can be fired with a push button, (even a button on the end of a wire then its not hard to modify to wireless using remote activated relays (a la central locking kit or similar) You don't need as flash harry as we have like this. One of the guys brought it and donated it to the group, lucky us

MT 4300 & MT4300-C
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

http://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Acce...tep+Trap.htmls

$269 from Reloaders Supplies. Awesome for single person use/practice.

Ive got one of GCs simple units .admittedly i chose to beef it up with 1"od steel tube and mounted it on a chipboard 900mmbase but apart from that its seen many a happy hour of use with our shooting crew. Alright it doesnt thro the clay that far but its stillquick enough to induce a little overconfidence and a shit eatin miss at times.
    C404 has one also _?brand so often its really good to combine the two to keep shooters on their toes.

Thanks for the info kotuku, do you have any photos of Ye setup ? And mod ?

Ive also got a G.C Thrower ... Its also is ment to be pushed into the ground and held down by kinda "tent pegs"(but I found that was pretty much useless as every time it threw a clay,it would jump out of the ground)So I Mounted it to a old tyre and rim and I also bolted two 5kg weights to the underside of tyre to make it a lot more stable ...It takes a fair bit of effort to reset the arm each throw ,but is easily operated buy a pull string ... It works ok ,you can throw singles or double (stacked or side by side) it hasn't got the best distance but its always a good afternoon of shooting.. also use a hand thrower to mix things up a bit and its throws a lot further ..
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  92.4 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  88.9 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  101.8 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  82.5 KB
    Survy likes this.

Wow thanks seano for taking the time to post the pics, I heard about the tyre mounts and frankly I was stumped as to how you would do it, but now I see the rim makes the difference, and you're right, it's all about the fun you have with it.

GC does the full cock on a pyramid base, I wonder if they throw further than the base model like you posted, they got them priced around $249

Wow thanks seano for taking the time to post the pics, I heard about the tyre mounts and frankly I was stumped as to how you would do it, but now I see the rim makes the difference, and you're right, it's all about the fun you have with it.

GC does the full cock on a pyramid base, I wonder if they throw further than the base model like you posted, they got them priced around $249
    No prob @Survy
    Ive aslo seen them mounted/bolted/welded to the top of a "44 Gallon Drum" (but for portability the tyre works mint) ... then you can mod it to operate it yourself by simply making the lanyard longer and attach a piece of wood .. that acts as a "pedel to step on to activate check it out in the link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xbJquLhVjw

p.s the spring on my unit can be tighten, as it gets some use and stretches ... this is simply done by using a pair pliers and tightening a butterfly nut
    Survy likes this.

@Survy if you live in CHCH or nearby .. you could borrow mine for a couple weeks ? give it a whurl
    Beaker likes this.

Lol just watched the vid, lmao , it's so hill billy, and at the end the guy swears cause his clays keep breaking, good ideas though

Lol just watched the vid, lmao , it's so hill billy, and at the end the guy swears cause his clays keep breaking, good ideas though
    Yeah vid is "Hillbilly As" but a good idea and simple