Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Munsey
  • 1 Post By EeeBees

Thread: Cracked Claw

Just another outdoors addict

Cracked Claw

I noticed my dog limping a bit and found he had a crack in one of his claws (toe nails?). Is this something a couple of days laying up will fix or is it a vet problem?

He is still keen to work but I am reluctant to let him.

Cheers for any advice offered

Super glue maybe ??
    Gibo likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

TA, I have had my dog do this too, I soaked his paw in hottish salty water for about five minutes and tried to trim off the jaggy bit but he was not going to permit that and he was on home leave for a couple of days...I did check for any infection but there was none.
    Wildman likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Super glue maybe ??
    That is not as silly as some might think Munsey. Join it together as one again and then trim.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    That is not as silly as some might think Munsey. Join it together as one again and then trim.
    Agree Rushy, it did after all find use in Vietnam for glueing up flesh wounds.

The use of cyanoacrylate glues in medicine was considered fairly early on. Eastman Kodak and Ethicon began studying whether the glues could be used to hold human tissue together for surgery. In 1964 Eastman submitted an application to use cyanoacrylate glues to seal wounds to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Soon afterward Dr. Coover's glue did find use in Vietnam--reportedly in 1966 cyanoacrylates were tested on-site by a specially trained surgical team, with impressive results. According to an interview with Dr. Coover by the Kingsport Times-News:

Tim, why did the toe nail crack? Is it from could weather/hard ground or are the nails to long,I haven't had that issue the only problem I've run into is with the odd pad being torn off again in cold weather / hard ground.
    I have seen leather booties for working dog's (that are used for Kelpies when mustering goats in national parks in Australia)

Cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    I noticed my dog limping a bit and found he had a crack in one of his claws (toe nails?). Is this something a couple of days laying up will fix or is it a vet problem?

He is still keen to work but I am reluctant to let him.

Cheers for any advice offered

Bugger mate. My GSP used to break hers a bit, especially on multi day hunting trips in the tops. You should trim it up as short as possible, without reaching the point where it bleeds, aking sure you cut/file off any snaggy/rough bits and use disinfectant to clean it thoroughly, I just use dettol water mix, and then put him on light duties for a few days. I make sure the dog can't access mud and dirt too much, to avoid infection. I have now started taking more notice of my dogs feet and trim her nails regularly. This has decreased the amount of damage she does to them ten fold.

I'm no vet, but this is simply my own observations and what has worked for me. I don't like taking the dog to the vet unless she needs it ($$$$$$$).

Thanks everyone. I will employ a mix of advice. You know it hurts when a dog limps so I want to get it fixed.

Rob I suspect he cracked it while swimming catching it on something -as their feet are fair thrashing when they are after a bird. I haven't paid enough attention to his nails/claws and will need to take the care JoshC does. It's times like these when we really realise how much our pooches are relied upon.....

yes and how much we tend to overlook things...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

talk to the vet on the phone first...
    He'll say its best to go and see him but its up to you really. You will have to make a call.
    Is his limping improving over since yesterday?
    Swollen, not swollen? If its just the nail then not much you can do I guess until it grows bigger and chop the cracked bit of.
    Anything worse than that see a vet.
    My setter gets cut paws from running a hard cutover but I haven't seen him limp from it. It may be bleeding a bit and I just clean it with salty water, and then it repairs within a week, but I don't let him do any work thought that period.
    speak to a vet or two and make a judgment call.

Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    talk to the vet on the phone first...
    He'll say its best to go and see him but its up to you really. You will have to make a call.
    Is his limping improving over since yesterday?
    Swollen, not swollen? If its just the nail then not much you can do I guess until it grows bigger and chop the cracked bit of.
    Anything worse than that see a vet.
    My setter gets cut paws from running a hard cutover but I haven't seen him limp from it. It may be bleeding a bit and I just clean it with salty water, and then it repairs within a week, but I don't let him do any work thought that period.
    speak to a vet or two and make a judgment call.
    Good advice Petros. It seems a little better than yesterday. I trimmed what I could while retaining my arm and the limping has subsided as the claw isn't touching the ground so easily I suspect. Light duties and a little pampering for a day or two. Swelling will see an immediate trip to the vet.

a few days kennel rest fixes most things in the limp department, just keep an eye on him if he starts chewing it.
    trimming the nails can be simply done by using a tennis ball and a large area of concrete and playing a game of fetch.
    if the nails have been left to long just clip the hook bit off and get him on the hard surface, you will get an even wear and no risk of cutting the quick.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    a few days kennel rest fixes most things in the limp department, just keep an eye on him if he starts chewing it.
    trimming the nails can be simply done by using a tennis ball and a large area of concrete and playing a game of fetch.
    if the nails have been left to long just clip the hook bit off and get him on the hard surface, you will get an even wear and no risk of cutting the quick.
    Cheers Kawhia and a very good basic bit of advice. I neglected the pre season training a bit. I am no expert but I like to try and get the dog fit- have some condition, (which is hard with Max) and harden up his hooves for the upland stuff. I have been very busy leading up and into this season and the dog is mildly underdone. I've never really paid deliberate attention to the hooves (unless there is limping), but the claw length isn't what it normally is- my bad. I am planning on going for a hunt tomorrow and he will be gutted in the kennel or back of the ute.....a missed hunt will add insult to the injury so to speak.