Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gqhoon
  • 1 Post By Petros_mk
  • 1 Post By EeeBees

Thread: dummy

dummy

What do you recommend? I am never going to trial but was told today its all good playing with a ball in the back yard having fun but get a dummy and only use it for training the dog to retrieve so the dog knows its serious time. h&f have dokkens brand canvas or traditional rubber knobby. No one else will sell them in town.

I think the dokken is a joke. The nobblys last well but do cause some dogs to mouth. They don;t last long, but the canvas ones are what I use.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Thanks @Ruff. Is there a canvas brand you recommend?

Not really, all seem much of a muchness. Start small for pups, work them up to full size.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Get one with a decent piece of rope attached, not a poxy wooden toggle on a string. Ultimately, they all end up with the internal weight down the opposite end anyway.
    Petros_mk likes this.

Don't buy the canvas ones that are purely filled with sand and no reinforcing around the walls of the dummies, they loose their shape and they are uncomfortable to carry for a dog. The dog will soon pick up the wrong habits.

I have these, which i came across at Animates the pet store for about $30
    CLIX Training Dummy Dog Toy Floats On Water Large | Trade Me

They have some sort of foam inside around the walls to maintain the dummy shape with the weight evenly distributed unlike the sand filled ones. There are few other brands that make decent dummies.

Few years ago I couldn't be asked buying some, so I got few 250ml drink bottles that resemble a dummy and just covered it with 3 or 4 pairs of socks to get the right thinness and give it some grip for the dog.

Spent a lot of money on Dokkens ... pheasant and quail...used once and now decorate the wall with all the rest of the paraphernalia...three old socks wrapped in pheasant or duck wings work well for my dogs...
    Wirehunt likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...