Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: the Glencuan Team in alphabetical order.

the Glencuan Team in alphabetical order.

This is Alex, Glencuan Alex Pointer dog by Toften's Chris (Imp DK) X White Mountain Queen (FTW). He's three years old in September and it has taken nearly all of those months for him to fully mature but after my recent sojurn in Yorkshire the job is now fully done. This is his first full year in competition and although we haven't troubled the scorer yet he has pleased me no end and I am hopeful of picking something up in the Autumn.
    I shot a few snipe, woodcock and pheasants over him last season just to ensure a full understanding of what is required and he has a long future with me as when he's finished competing he will be one of my shooting dogs.
    This photograph was taken in, of all things, an industrial site near where I live. The ground was bulldozed some years ago and there are puddles in wet weather that hold snipe.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Nice dog Des
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Now we are talking, this will be the best thread on the forum.
    Pointer, Petros_mk and Scouser like this.

Next we have Basso, Oksby Basso, Pointer dog by Toften's Chris X Oksby Blanka. When I wanted to top up the continental blood in my breeding programme one of my first ports of call was The Dansk Pointer Klub website and in the rotating banner advert was Kennel Oksby. Since Oksby Fly featured in my line already I contacted them and bought Basso. The whole Oksby crew were extremely good to me over this deal and while it wan't all plain sailing at the start I'm now extremely pleased with Basso. Basso has been bred from a long line of dogs used and appraised in a different way from my dogs and it has taken all my expertise to bring him to fruition. He's isn't a great backer, I suppose because he is so seldom beaten to birds but I continue to work at this.
    Basso is a dog that causes a lot of head sctatching on my part. He's seven years old and has no awards. Yes there has been some average work, even a little bad work but I am ever hopeful. He did some amazing work in Yorkshire last month and still didn't mamage anything. Even so I like him a lot.

what wonderful ground you have there for your beautiful pointers Des
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Not sure why but o/w & lemon /white pointers do it for me, loving your pics Des

Should have explained. Basso is the dog on point. Mist is bacling him and the dog on the lead is Chris. Mist is no longer in the kennel. You will learn about Chris in due course.(Not only is Mist bacling him he's backing him too.)

Buck, Trudvang Bucjaeger, Teckel dog. Before you ask the answer is I don't know. Why I bought him. I just fancied learning about another breed. I don't have a rifle so Buck works pheasants and woodcock in Co. Tyrone. He will work with the spaniel, on the condition that there's no pointers about, but once Chris is on the scene Buck becomes his shadow. He has a nose to die for and as he's vertically challenged he needs to use it quite a lot to track the pointer he's working with. I had him on rabbit ground on Abbeystead Estate this year. It was the first time I had actually seen him working as usually he's in deep laurel bushes or brambles. His tail action, on game, is mesmerising but it was so obvious that he had more experience of pheasants. He gets to sleep in the house overnight and watches TV with me and the wife. Bred in Scotland from Danish parents.
    Scouser likes this.

Chris, Toften's Chris Pointer dog, by Astrup's Frijs X Huldertjernets Laila. Imported from Denmark.

Not that long after Basso arrived in Ireland I got one of those "it wouldn't ever happen to me" telephone calls. Alex Nissen, whose wife had sold me Basso, rang to say that his mother in law Liz Skov wanted me to consider accepting Basso's sire, Chris, as a present. Coming from anybody this would be an unusual situation but Liz is the daughter of A. P. Anderson, a founder member of the Danish Poiner Club in 1919 and the original holder of the Oksby prefix. The careful consideration needed took all of five seconds and the result is Chris, who blows completely out of the water the idea that if anything sounds too good to be true it usually is...................too good to be true.
    When I attended the Dansk Pointer Klub's 90th anniversary trials in 2009 I heard a bit about Chris. If anybody was stuck for a dog they borrowed Chris, the result being that his head of game count must be huge, if not obscene. There was no plan at this time for him to come to me or none that I knew about, this information came to me when I was asking about Basso's parents.It wasn't all plain sailing. Chris would hunt with you for a good long while but he always had the capacity to "do a Danish one" as we called it. His two hundred yard either side pattern would become six, or seven or maybe even eight hundred yards either side. We eventually got the handle on him and did manage a 2nd in an Irish Kennel Club Open Stake but Chris' forte is shooting.
    This really is some piece of kit. At eleven and a half years old he will only be doing half days next year but half a day with Chris is worth a week with a lesser dog. His game sense is as good as any other dog I've seen, his drive is fantastic given the ground he works and his age and his retrieving is second to none. He is also hell of a well bred, the main dog being Ob's Try and he has sired a Danish Dual Champion DKCH, DKJCH, Astrup's Dirty Dancer.
    If there was a category for my Dog of a Lifetime Chris would be in it. Somewhere. Maybe not the top one but well up.
    Pointer and el borracho like this.

Quote Originally Posted by des oneile View Post

Buck, Trudvang Bucjaeger, Teckel dog. Before you ask the answer is I don't know. Why I bought him. I just fancied learning about another breed. I don't have a rifle so Buck works pheasants and woodcock in Co. Tyrone. He will work with the spaniel, on the condition that there's no pointers about, but once Chris is on the scene Buck becomes his shadow. He has a nose to die for and as he's
    vertically challenged he needs to use it quite a lot to track the pointer he's working with. I had him on rabbit ground on Abbeystead
    Estate this year. It was the first time I had actually seen him working as usually he's in deep laurel bushes or brambles. His tail action,
    on game, is mesmerising but it was so obvious that he had more experience of pheasants. He gets to sleep in the house overnight and
    watches TV with me and the wife. Bred in Scotland from Danish parents.
    What breed is he ? Is it a kind of sausage dog ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

teckel......... wirehaired dachshund

wow didnt even know the Dachshund hunted

Dumb question here but do you get left and right hand pointers.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    wow didnt even know the Dachshund hunted
    really ?

really!