Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gun Dog clubs

Gun Dog clubs

This post is mainly for info for those not in a gun dog club

Returning to trialing reminded me how important the support of our Gun dog clubs are for all .
    Weekend gone I ran my dog on the South Auckland gun dog club grounds but under the Auckland GSP clubs banner for a picnic trial .
    I was reminded seeing old faces there from 10 years ago what a great bunch of people there are in the gun dog clubs
    "especially " those that constantly run and organize events for the likes of you and me -thank you big time with you we would wander aimlessly .

I recently rejoined the Pointer and Setter club but will probably involve myself often in the other Auckland club "South Auckland gun dog club -North Auckland GunDog Club and the Auckland Regions GSP clubs events also as their trials are local.

Any other people keen to participate in club events that haven't before and would like to know more - there are a few people here on the forum that are members of these clubs

Any thoughts anyone
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

I have lots of thoughts but not all on gundog clubs
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

call the police we gotta a girl pervy

All day I was thinking about how I was going to prepare a piece of Sika backsteak....mmmmmm, decisions decisions!!!!

Apparently in the early years of field trialing, trials could attract public galleries of 60 plus persons...now many gundog clubs would be lucky to boast half of that number in memberships...I suppose with better roads, ready made entertainment, the cafe culture, weekend retailing, the greater division between rural and urban the demise of a public gallery at such events was a forgone conclusion.

alas ,yes days of old was when society still had an appreciation of traditional field sports and thought they had value,we are now a traditionally insipid lot in general too say the least.Norway and Italy still attract a large field with their dogs and Norway with their shooting sports is just plain huge with upto many thousands turning up to a national shoot

Traditionally insipid or without tradition?

either -I wish we had values in traditional sport like many European country's or even USA

It is the PASSION and RESPECT of the French for the breed which means more than anything...certainly the traditions are wonderful. St Hubert Day...if only we could emulate such an event.

t Hubert’s day is the beginning of the hunting season in many parts of Europe. In many places it is celebrated with a stag hunt – which seems an awfully odd way to celebrate the life of a man who gave up hunting for religious reasons. Surely he would be a more appropriate patron saint of vegetarianism, or the increasingly vocal “ethical eaters” such as the folk who have managed to get foie gras banned in Chicago?

The traditional St Hubert’s day hunt begins with the blessing of a special bread which is then shared out amongst the hunting dogs in the belief that it will protect from rabies. Other than the bread, all dishes “à la St Hubert” are based on some sort of game: you can chose from consommé, purée of pheasant (or any game), tournedos of venison, petites bouchées (“vol au vents”), timbales, and even an omelette.

The perfect accompaniment to one of those rich game dishes would be a good Cabernet Sauvignon from the Yarra Valley (Victoria, Australia) vineyard of the same name. The winery was established in 1862 by Hubert De Castella (whose Saints' Day would have been today), and in 1880 St Hubert wine won the award given by Emperor Wilhelm I of Germany's award for the most successful exhibitor at the Melbourne International Exhibition.

Man, you both talk a load of dribble...."lack of tradition this", "wish we had more tradition that".....make your own damn tradition, go shoot some bloody birds and have a decent feed and some booze afterwards.

Photo below is the second to last day of the gamebird season....a brief interlude at lunchtime before getting stuck into it again. Friends, food, birds and dogs

And look, there is even some arsehole who can incorporate 'traditional' tradition in today's modern hunting era

Yeah GQ right on!!! We've had Kiwi tweed for years, our very own Swandri.......................
    Last I remember we drank plenty of red wine after our last bird shoot...............................
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    Man, you both talk a load of dribble...."lack of tradition this", "wish we had more tradition that".....make your own damn tradition, go shoot some bloody birds and have a decent feed and some booze afterwards.

Photo below is the second to last day of the gamebird season....a brief interlude at lunchtime before getting stuck into it again. Friends, food, birds and dogs

And look, there is even some arsehole who can incorporate 'traditional' tradition in today's modern hunting era
    Great to see GQHoon , what are you shooting on this very fine day?

Those dead things in the grass be Pheasants.

Is this at a game preserve with beaters or over pointing dogs

Its on a property that has an exemption from standard gamebird regulations. The main part of the day was a 'stand and shoot' where each side of the line took turns flushing birds over the other. Then I took my Wirehair for a strop after everyone had left and shot a few more over him.