Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree38Likes
  • 17 Post By Pointer
  • 7 Post By teFerrarri
  • 3 Post By Pointer
  • 9 Post By teFerrarri
  • 2 Post By Pointer

Thread: I love it when a plan comes together

I love it when a plan comes together

Yes, I stole that quote from the A-team...

I couldn't put this story in the game bird section as I usually do this time of year as it only involves one quail. But I had to tell someone!

Last weekend I took my 15 month old dog 'Baz' out for Munsey and Upnorth Uplander, He produced a few birds for Munsey, only Bazs' 5th and 6th pheasants shot for him ever. Not exactly an experienced dog. I thought I'd capitalise on that and took him out to a place nearby that I don't normally shoot but does well in the evening.

It's all knee high kikuyu grass, typical of its coastal BOP surroundings, big sweeping hills down to gullies then to dunes. I had been going maybe 20 minutes, with no pheasants in sight, when he locks up. I go to him, ask him to produce, and he rushes forward and puts up a covey of four brownies - which I have never seen in this area before, and I've run in this place since I was in nappies. He didn't break to flush, but didn't drop, so I blew the stop whistle and he sinks to his belly, disappearing in the kikuyu. I'm not shooting the quail here as this is the first covey I've ever seen here. The obligatory pats and good boys and we sit for a while.

I send him on, and he takes a cast to the left maybe 10 metres, then locks up again. Again, I go to him on point, ask him to produce, and he does, this time a single brownie whistles away right. This time he is different. Baz sinks to his belly, no stop whistle. Again, no shots, just a pat on the head and a "good Basil". Secretly inside I'm fist-pumping 'yuss"!

Another minute passes, and I send him on again. He casts across me to the right, and goes maybe 15 metres and locks up yet again! Once more I go to him. I stood beside him no more than a minute, when I give him the word. This time, he jumps forward in a lunge, straight into a drop, chin on ground. Half a dozen brownies burst from around him. I die with joy at this moment. There is a straggler to one side, dropping to the left. I shoot it, breaking my no quail rule, to reward the dog. Baz stays dropped to the shot. I don't want him retrieving small birds at this stage, so I pick the bird up after he performs a perfect seek dead. Where to from here? I honestly feel I could have only gone backwards after this performance, so I put him on a leash and went home!

Baz got a few hours in front of the fire that night

Name:  20150522_162820.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  697.2 KB

Fantastic , you got to be happy with that effort . Man Those brownies are tiny .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

you got to love a pointer that looks as pleased as this one looks
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Name:  21290_10206733204518853_7763969302292053807_n.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  38.1 KB

This is Bracken - one of Bas ' littermates and our son Aidan on opening morning

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    you got to love a pointer that looks as pleased as this one looks
    He looks about as pleased with himself as I was with him

Quote Originally Posted by pteFerrarri View Post
    Attachment 36855

This is Bracken - one of Bas ' littermates and our son Aidan on opening morning
    It's in the family!
    upnorth uplander, Ruff and Munsey like this.

Name:  20150524_175427.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  279.1 KB
    Took Bella, Bracken and badge out for a wet and wild walk this evening. All had game contact - Bella had a pheasant flush wild out of range for the gun, also dropped to a hare. Badge pointed the mankiest possum Ive ever seen which was dispatched and Aidan and Bracken produced a quail from a covey that busted ahead of them

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Yes, I stole that quote from the A-team...

I couldn't put this story in the game bird section as I usually do this time of year as it only involves one quail. But I had to tell someone!

Last weekend I took my 15 month old dog 'Baz' out for Munsey and Upnorth Uplander, He produced a few birds for Munsey, only Bazs' 5th and 6th pheasants shot for him ever. Not exactly an experienced dog. I thought I'd capitalise on that and took him out to a place nearby that I don't normally shoot but does well in the evening.

It's all knee high kikuyu grass, typical of its coastal BOP surroundings, big sweeping hills down to gullies then to dunes. I had been going maybe 20 minutes, with no pheasants in sight, when he locks up. I go to him, ask him to produce, and he rushes forward and puts up a covey of four brownies - which I have never seen in this area before, and I've run in this place since I was in nappies. He didn't break to flush, but didn't drop, so I blew the stop whistle and he sinks to his belly, disappearing in the kikuyu. I'm not shooting the quail here as this is the first covey I've ever seen here. The obligatory pats and good boys and we sit for a while.

I send him on, and he takes a cast to the left maybe 10 metres, then locks up again. Again, I go to him on point, ask him to produce, and he does, this time a single brownie whistles away right. This time he is different. Baz sinks to his belly, no stop whistle. Again, no shots, just a pat on the head and a "good Basil". Secretly inside I'm fist-pumping 'yuss"!

Another minute passes, and I send him on again. He casts across me to the right, and goes maybe 15 metres and locks up yet again! Once more I go to him. I stood beside him no more than a minute, when I give him the word. This time, he jumps forward in a lunge, straight into a drop, chin on ground. Half a dozen brownies burst from around him. I die with joy at this moment. There is a straggler to one side, dropping to the left. I shoot it, breaking my no quail rule, to reward the dog. Baz stays dropped to the shot. I don't want him retrieving small birds at this stage, so I pick the bird up after he performs a perfect seek dead. Where to from here? I honestly feel I could have only gone backwards after this performance, so I put him on a leash and went home!

Baz got a few hours in front of the fire that night

Attachment 36852
    Hes coming along real nice Jim

Yeah, almost too easy! I'm waiting for the wheels to fall off.

The little fella did it again yesterday arvo, I'll put it in the game bird section as it involves more than one measly quail haha
    upnorth uplander and Munsey like this.

Ejected
    Good shit.