Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 3 Post By mikee
  • 4 Post By JasonW
  • 4 Post By Petros_mk
  • 2 Post By bigbear
  • 1 Post By Pointer
  • 1 Post By Pointer
  • 3 Post By bigbear

Thread: pup toilet advive

pup toilet advive

just got a new pup 12 weeks old. I have it in a kennel and run. It has a habit of going to toilet in its box where it sleeps. It is let out early morning and and different times during the day also couple three times after dark.
    So at the moment i am removing its dirty blankets (replacing with clean) leaving wet blanket in its run trying to encourage it if it needs to go toilet to go in its run.
    Are i going about it the right way? or are there any other suggestions

I've only had the pup a week so kennel and run will be all new to it, also id say it was in a pup pen where it came from off a farm. Want be able to contact breeder for 4 weeks to ask.

we have always taken out pups outside after they have been fed and waited until they went. then inside was ok for and hour then back out. Its patience testing but worked. Husky got the idea real fast so did our spaniel however our 2 pointers must have set some sort of record for slow learners.

And if its doing circles by the door to outside that might be a wee clue

Please please please don't rub your pups nose it it if he goes inside (he already knows his shit stinks) , just quietly clean it up without a fuss however hard that may be

Patience and perseverance is the key I'm sure just as I am sure you will get lots of other advise too
    EeeBees, keneff and bigbear like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Might pay to put a divider in the box to make it smaller if it is a large one, just big enough to sleep in not to play in or use as a toilet.

A young timid puppy will often instinctively seek to hide the scent of its own toileting within the scent of yourself or in this case perhaps the "den". Will grow out of it.

I just got up twice a night and put our dogs on the grass and marked piss with "be quick" and poo with "hurry up" to train it on command.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
    kawhia, Pointer, Petros_mk and 1 others like this.

hm... personally what worked for me was that my dog lived for in a crate at the very start before I moved him in a kennel with a run. The crate was just big enough for him to sleep in it comfortably but small enough for him not to be able to poop or piss without sleeping on his feces.

I've found my dog can't stand his output well let alone sleep in it, others I've spoken to say the same. With puppies if they had enough room they will do the business in one corner and sleep on the other end, if they don't have enough room to do that, they'll start to whine and bark to be let out.

My approach was, have it in a confined space (crate just the right size), each time he was let out of the crate he was taken directly to the lawn to do his business before having any further interactions with me or anyone else. No games, no hugs, no kisses from kids or cute girls, everything had to wait until he was finished with the 1st and only thing that he had to do as soon as he comes out of his crate.

I did that for the first week or so and from there on he got into the habit that he does his business on the lawn because he was given only that 1 option.. I do remember him letting it loose in the house couple of times at the very early days mainly when I didn't pay attention to him or felt confident he got the hang of things, I'd give him a growl or I'd pick him up and take him outside to finish his business (the negative consequence for the undesired action). He soon realized that the only place he pissed or pooped was a green patch with grass.

Funny enough my backyard was paved and had a small patch of grass. the paved section was spotless, my patch of grass very soon became patchy yellow.

Just bear in mind I was 19 at the time and had 3 months of uni summer holidays when my dog was 12 weeks. I literally spent 24 hours with the dog for the first month - I had time to muck around.

northdude
    what I use to do is when taking the pup for a pee id pee as well probably easier the it trying to understand English just had to be carefull not to pee on him the first couple of times while he was susing it out after that it was sweet don't know if its a good or bad way but it worked for me

No dogs are aloud inside farm rules. She does have areas on the lawn she is happy to go . just been out now before going to bed and she has again poo and peed in her box.Can't understand why in her box . Understand she must need to go but could use the run. Will put a divider in her box tomorrow and try again
    Petros_mk and JasonW like this.

JasonW nailed it. Make the kennel box smaller. If your kennel box is the removable lid type put a small travel crate in the doorway. Will grab a pic when I get home.
    Last edited by Pointer; 19-04-2017 at 07:00 AM.
    JasonW likes this.

Yep small and higher than the run floor.
    A big plastic, bowl works too

Here is a pic of a small travel crate in a large kennel box. Using this currently for my "labradoodle" pup

Name:  20170419_175757.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  103.2 KB

It has a blanket over it when in the box to stop draughts, but in winter I would have that blanket plus pack the remaining empty space with straw on top for added insulation.

Name:  20170419_175817.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  120.9 KB

By the time the pup is big enough to not fit the small crate you can remove it and hopefully she is past the kennel dumping phase.

Out of curiousity, what are other members experience with kennel dumpers? How did you find their personality?
    Last edited by Pointer; 19-04-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Petros_mk likes this.

thanks @Pointer ended up blocking of 2/3 with ply tonight so hopefully that helps. Never had a pup that has done this before

So far so good. Now its settling in a routine might be helping
    veitnamcam, Pointer and Petros_mk like this.