Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Weimaraner pups

Weimaraner pups

Don't shoot the messenger ! Just putting it out there if any one was looking for one , mates mother has bred some (9pups) . I've been told from imports . Could find out more if anyone interested
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Polish dog / German bitch .

working lines or show.......even in germany there is a split and the working guys are pretty protective of there lines.

I detest Weimeraners, but I've never seen one of true working blood. Won't shoot you Munsey (I promise) if there's some good blood here I would celebrate with you.
    Munsey likes this.

Will find out more . Just posting for here out of interest . I suspect they will be show lines with ability point the next doors cat !
    Ruff, mikee and Scouser like this.

One has to ask, Wei?
    EeeBees, Munsey and Gibo like this.

GSP
    Lady down South is doing well with her Weimy at the gundog trials, also now and then I see on FB Weimy's in NZ & Aust being used successfully on deer. Unfortunately those who can afford to import don't bother about the working side. Also when the imports are registered with NZKC the NZ produced pedigree does not show working scores the dog may have acquired, only show champion, field trial champion and obedience titles that the NZ Kennel club relates to. The NZKC tells me that they are trying to find an IT who can adapt their system to show this information.
    Munsey likes this.

weimaraners have been very good deer dogs here in nz for the last 35 years.a good one is a bloody good dog.it is unfortunate that the (pedigree) breed is in the hands of people breeding for show. the polish dog, munsey mentioned is an outstanding dog conformation wise,i do not know the working ability,nor do i know anything about the german bred dam.unlike some others, my opinions are formed by what i have seen with my own eyes.although i do not own one at the moment,i still have a soft spot for this breed, and i like great dogwork,whether i own the dog or i see it in someone elses,no matter what the breed.
    GSP likes this.

GSP
    I remember back in the late 70's or early 80's a chap up North bred them for hunting, deer stalking mostly I think. He imported a long coat from Germany. No one seems to remember this though. Do you Lophortyx? I don't remember kennel name and I don't remember what happened to him, perhaps he just got old and quit or moved overseas or something.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    One has to ask, Wei?
    @Pointer, when you and Ryen were in the Hawkes Bay for one of the gun dog events there was a Weimaraner dog running. He was a very staunch looking dog and I understand he could hold his own.

yes,that was gary vize.they were from working bloodlines,(he actually went to germany and chose the bloodlines)and they arrived in auckland about 1972 or 73.i owned a granddaughter,the grandsire the german shorthaired male.she was a hard going dog and a great retreiver.gary took his dogs to queensland and i am unsure what happened to them.dave parker "gunmettle",bred with some of these german lines, gary did not let anyone else use his dog at stud.
    Last edited by lophortyx; 22-08-2014 at 06:07 PM.

GSP
    Dave Parker is the one I remember. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lophortyx View Post
    weimaraners have been very good deer dogs here in nz for the last 35 years.a good one is a bloody good dog.it is unfortunate that the (pedigree) breed is in the hands of people breeding for show. the polish dog, munsey mentioned is an outstanding dog conformation wise,i do not know the working ability,nor do i know anything about the german bred dam.unlike some others, my opinions are formed by what i have seen with my own eyes.although i do not own one at the moment,i still have a soft spot for this breed, and i like great dogwork,whether i own the dog or i see it in someone elses,no matter what the breed.
    Not sure who you are referring to here but in my sensitive little regard, I have worked with probably a dozen in my commercial capacity and owned one. None of them measured up against other versatiles. Some had outstanding features, usually nose is exceptional, but it was overshadowed by other negatives that could not be overlooked. For my money the most aggressive gundog breed I have encountered, for their few number, I know more people bitten by this breed than any other gundog.

People often refer to their "prowess" as a deer breed. As deerstalking requires the least amount of input from any dog to aid the hunt I am not surprised this is held up as an attribute they can readily attain. All facts considered, no serious hunter would consider one when stacked up against the better blood available for other breeds already in the country!
    Munsey, el borracho and Danny like this.

a bitch owned by rob gaastra has cleaned up at a few rough shooters in recent years and is the equal of any versatile breed in the country.
    I have often asked him to put a german lined dog over her, it would be a start of a nice line of wei's in my opinion.
    ryen also has his german wei here, she was a nice bitch too.
    a few imports is all that stands in the way of turning the breed around.

on a side note I think I know that polish link, and it is a mix of show/work.
    Munsey and Grue like this.