Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By huglife

Thread: 308 blanks

308 blanks

Hi
    I've been making some good progress with the 22 in gun training my pooch. I can now shoot it right next to him and he doesn't flinch. He's still not excited or anything about it being shot so it's probably time to get him out shooting some rabbits just so he gets excited by the sound of the gun to make the transition to a 308 a bit easier..

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody has had experience shooting 308 blanks rather than live rounds to get the dog used to the big gun? Will they ruin my gun? Are they as loud as a normal round shot into the ground?
    Cheers
    Tom
    Mohawk660 and mrs dundee like this.

If you are using them in a suppressed rifle I think there could be some plastic comes off of them which may be bad for the suppressor

try just a primed case......see if you think its loud enough before shelling out for something else.

Ejected
    Shotgun.

What about a starter pistol
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

looking for something cheap, so buying another gun etc is out of the picture. marybe ill just have to buy a bucketload of the barnaul ammo and put lots of craters in the ground! would primed cases make enough noise to train it for the real thing?

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by huglife View Post
    looking for something cheap, so buying another gun etc is out of the picture. marybe ill just have to buy a bucketload of the barnaul ammo and put lots of craters in the ground! would primed cases make enough noise to train it for the real thing?
    Yes, almost as loud as a normal round particularly if you take the suppressor off.

oh cool thanks for that. It wont damage the gun etc?

and feel free to let me know if there is a go to webstie for getting cheap primed cases.. do you think I'll get much cheaper than this?
    https://www.guncity.com/winchester-b...-rounds-321716

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by huglife View Post
    and feel free to let me know if there is a go to webstie for getting cheap primed cases.. do you think I'll get much cheaper than this?
    https://www.guncity.com/winchester-b...-rounds-321716
    It won't harm the gun. That's ok assuming it's new brass but cheaper would be to get a mate with reloading gear to prime some of your used cases for you. Primers cost 1c each. I can help if you are in Canterbury.

Oh cheers, I'll ask around, I'm a fair days walk from Canterbury.. Don't have many mates that are that deep in the shooting game but I'll see
    Cheers for the help

you will be surprised how loud just a primed case is....and dont pont it into your good polarfleece coat to muffle the noise when getting rid of old pre primed cases either...little huas have enough ooomph to burn holes in it!!!!!!!!!!

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you will be surprised how loud just a primed case is....and dont pont it into your good polarfleece coat to muffle the noise when getting rid of old pre primed cases either...little huas have enough ooomph to burn holes in it!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, I let a 223 primed case off, flame out the end of the barrel and scorch marks on the wooden floor