Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Advice on collie x lab x something

Hi all, i have been offered a young dog from the farm we are on (we are moving to a bigger farm) the owners dont have the time for it and its a bit of a handful at the moment, they are getting on and want to retire ect.
    From what i can tell it looks to be a collie x lab x something, apparently the rest of the litter were quite scruffy looking a bit like a beardie i guess, so i dont know what exactly the breed is. Its a nice looking dog, definitely mainly lab but slender like a collie.
    Its got awesome pray drive, loves chasing rabbits, caught me a duck and brought it to me the other day (alive and i let it go when he wasnt looking ) But it does not listen when you try and call it or stop it from chasing, loves jumping all over you ect.

What i would like to know, being we are still looking for a first dog, as much as i like it and think it would make a great hunting companion with some hard work, is it going to be too much to get rid of all these bad habbits it has for a first timer? All it does all day is sit around and go wondering by itself because they dont have the time for it, loves following me around the farm when it gets the chance, so i would love to be able to give it a better life, but whats your guys thoughts? Any one started with a similar dog?
    Its probably around 2 years old.

if it was me I would grab it, sounds like its a worker, a bit of discipline and patience on your part and it could be a cracker. Ive had a young bitch at a year old that was similar, just worked her and taught her the rules, turned out to be a great little dog and an excellent hunter.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Cheers for the advice, apparently he use to have a few ground rules, sit ,stay ect but has just been let to roam over the last few months and plays up. So i guess shouldnt be too hard to get him back into line. Ive never herd him bark either which is good, only when he chases rabbits he yelps, sounds a bit like a heading dog trying to bark.