Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: American pit bull dog or cross

American pit bull dog or cross

Hi, is there too much of a problem training/owning one of these for goat and pig hunting-in scrub/bush.

Obviously can't have it threatening kids-thought that was mostly covered in socialization.

Had corgi, a retriever before, and reasonable long time use of kelpie.

Liked all -Kelpie -predictably independent, may have been only 'issue'.

Covered that for me by both of us-me/dog learning to work together.

Reason for asking= no one else may want them in general population-so easier to get.

Nb this is a planning question- not allowed dog where currently residing

few months.

Just my 2 c worth here, and not really based on anything other than having had pure bred Staffys for many years. I thing that on the whole, there is probably too much latent aggression in the genes to be an effective hunting dog.
    One taste of fresh blood and you could have all sorts of problems.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

+1

Pitties don't "threaten" children...they strip them to the bone...the biggest problem with them as a hunting dog is that they rip into everything in the bush, people, other dogs, and of course the intended target, pigs and goats. In the past we have had trouble with savage dogs around our horses when out trekking and so at least one rider in the group carries the means to alleviate the situation.
    kiwijames, NZHTR, Pengy and 3 others like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Pitties don't "threaten" children...they strip them to the bone...the biggest problem with them as a hunting dog is that they rip into everything in the bush, people, other dogs, and of course the intended target, pigs and goats. In the past we have had trouble with savage dogs around our horses when out trekking and so at least one rider in the group carries the means to alleviate the situation.
    What a crock of shit.
    Spook and Dougie like this.

you could train a Pitty to heel and scent, but why bother though unless you really love these dogs, the problem in NZ is the breed is probably a bit to nutty, think of the type of people that own them and what they use them for, why they breed them and what traits they are looking for. I have had pitty cross dogs that were exceptionally friendly with the kids and just big soft babies around the house.
    Check out these dogs, they have just as much fight in them as some other breeds and can be used easily for deer indication ( apparently )
    New Zealand Thai Ridgeback Dog Breeders - BlueStone Kennels » Thai Ridgeback X Hunting Dogs - BlueStone Kennels
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Nail on the head @oneshot traits commonly backyard bred are big n angry. Dominant testosterone-full dogs n bitches being crossed. I had a UK staff that was great but never again (too much) like a Foxy on roids. Thought they passed a law about complusary desexing or something a few years back, but have seen one registered as a "ridgeback cross".

Ive got a pitty, and she is a marshmellow. Would make a crap pig dog, she's way to meek. Fucking great family dog though. I've also got another rescue who was an unwanted pig dog pup (or so I was told), staffy whippet x. He's a bit of handfull in the city as hes pretty chase orientated, managed to focus the chase onto a ball though.

Pure PBT's are a bit stocky and often to slow. Also lots of the bull breeds arn't that flash nose wise, and you have to spend more time getting em interested in tracking smells.

A decent staffy x lab or somthing could make a good pig dog, given the right encouragement. If you have a mate who has a pack to run em with, they learn fast from other dogs.

My mate who I used to go out with occasionally (not really my cup of tea) runs PBT whippet crosses. Ugly as sin but pretty effective
    Pengy likes this.

OK, ta, what led me to that thinking was-

fear-based media=usually part truth with agenda, and I acknowledge the damage they cause, and was the dog of choice for 'nuisance' people. Hence partly believable.

and something I read somewhere is they were originally bred for bailing pigs.

and no one else wants them-but seems like plenty free dogs at different times available.

If you could train a good Pitty or Staffy as a holder on pigs I don't think they could be bettered. Unfortunately as others have said, there is a lot of bad blood lines out there these days, so choosing the right animal would be hard.
    They were definitely not originally bred for bailing anything mate.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    . I've also got another rescue who was an unwanted pig dog pup (or so I was told), staffy whippet x.
    sorry about the hijack ...but what does he look like..? .....I picked up a rescue pup and im thinking that's what she is.......

Like a leaner staffy with ears further back. Kinda looks like a dingo now I think of it. haha. Being a pig pup hell have a few other things in him, 'staffy' is a pretty generalised term these days.

I know one thing for sure. he can bloody shift.

Name:  2011-12-06 13.20.24.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  382.6 KB

Plus bonus flyin pitbull
    Name:  046.jpg
Views: 2988
Size:  1,022.6 KB

Autistic girl has a Pitbull for her helper dog, they cant be all that bad then.

Santa turns away autistic girl over her helper dog | Stuff.co.nz
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    If you could train a good Pitty or Staffy as a holder on pigs I don't think they could be bettered. Unfortunately as others have said, there is a lot of bad blood lines out there these days, so choosing the right animal would be hard.
    They were definitely not originally bred for bailing anything mate.
    I have had pure labs that have been outstanding holders, ( do or die attitude ) on par with bully's without a doubt.

sneakywaza I got
    And what breed of dog has been responsible for children and old people being torn apart and killed or maimed in the last few years? the only good pitbull is a dead one.

Statisically,the greatest number of bites delivered is by the Golden Retreiver( the most owned dog in the western world), but generally a Retreiver (or Lab) will mostly only give a bite in response to provication ( like 4 yr old sticks finger in eye) and it stops there - man has genetically engineered those things to be a agressive psycho rip it apart killing machine and now all the fuckwits have them. Pitbulls are the lastest tough sticker for mostly insecure wannabe "hardman" types. I see a pitbull? I want to get my rifle.

A good owner that makes an effort to train and teach his pitbull to be a proper dog may have success and have a dog that licks his kids and appears to be a cuddly softy, but what is that sound in the backround? tick tick tick.........
    Spook, Scouser and hawkfish like this.