Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Avian Aversion Courses

Avian Aversion Courses

Anybody have a ticket for their dog? Just been reading on how they do it...hmm.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I have had my dog done for work
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

Splash, how'd he/she go? I think my guy would shut down after getting the shit shocked out of him.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

It's not that bad, you just walk past the frozen kiwi if they show interest they get a quick shock, mine is done every year and only got a shock the first year which was 5 years ago its funny how they remember.
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

I've got the loan of a collar ( not a big fan) just done my dog today, same principle,but on woolys though . He was just starting to show an interest . I . should only have to growl him now !

Yeah I'm not a fan of the shocking thing, even if it is a small 'dose'. I suppose I could practice somehow before doing the ticket to minimise him going for the bird?

Hey Munsey do you reckon my boy would be a write off as a hunting companion now that he's chased the shit outta come goats? Also when he was young I let him into a mate's sheep paddock and much to my surprise he turned into a different dog - bailed up a sheep in a corner and flipped her over, had a good mouthful of wool before I got my gumboot up his ass.

You would have to do a lot of work on him and even then never let him get in a situation that may result in a certain less than ideal outcome. I'm sure the dog handlers on this forum will tell you how to go about it . I'm only a hunter who likes hunting dogs not a handler who likes hunting if you get my drift.

Yep I gotcha. I just want him as a mate who will always listen to my babling, I know he won't be good for much else! Best I just keep him on a line then.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    You would have to do a lot of work on him and even then never let him get in a situation that may result in a certain less than ideal outcome. I'm sure the dog handlers on this forum will tell you how to go about it . I'm only a hunter who likes hunting dogs not a handler who likes hunting if you get my drift.
    i don't get your drift ?

Im no dog trainer but would have thought he would be young enough to train him out of it.
    My dog following mates seem to sort out much older dogs they get for pigs if they chase goats deer possums sheep etc.
    never asked how it is done but suspect it involves a bloody good hiding.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Yep I gotcha. I just want him as a mate who will always listen to my babling, I know he won't be good for much else! Best I just keep him on a line then.
    Go on ! ! you say that to all the boys. . . .
    veitnamcam likes this.

Got my vizsla done a while back. She kept pointing the birds from quite a way back and they wanted her to go near them before they shocked her. Took a few goes before they gave her 1 shock, that was it for her, she wouldn't even look at them after it. There was also a stubborn as pig dog there, he wouldn't learn and went back for 4 or 5 sniffs. All in all, it was administered better than i thought it would be.

I have had a collar for over 10 years and just had it fixed the other day $400 spuds --ooch that hurt but its a hell of a unit with vibrate /tick and tick and vibe same time .First thing I did the other day was test the strength on myself several times to understand the intensity the dog was going to recieve -YOU MUST do this.I made many mistake as a younger hot head with early dogs that I loved dearly but applied to much electro .
    Its a good method to ruin a dog on birds if you want !!!
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

There is a funny as hell utube of a guy with a bark collar on
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I had Shadow done for a couple of years , a verbal reinforcement to the shock isn't a silly idea.In my opinion anyway & didn't seem to effect his other "bird" work at all (duck ,pheasant etc). Seemed to know it only applied regards Kiwi ,the DOC guys micro chipped him for $12.50 on the day .Don't know if all them do that but the Coromandel guys are good bunch .
    Gun control means using both hands