Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Black Lab Temperment

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I dunno, I've got a black Bitch now and before her had a yellow Dog, she is definately more stroppy than he was, good with folk mind just a bit stroppy with other dogs,that could simply be down to personality.

Ejected
    Bitches are naturally a bit more stroppy. Yet train easier and earlier.

The Original Striker

This is Buster. In his prime he was around about 65-75 kg, He wasnt overly fat but just a totaly solid build.He would never bite ya, lick you to death more like it, be a bit roudy untill he got to know ya though.
    Had another one just as big growing up but he got hit by the speeding wankers down the road. at the mess of the car the cops said they were doing over 150km/h
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Bitches train easier and earlier.
    This thread is full of old wives tales! Next we will be looking at the colour of the roof of its mouth to ascertain its temperament...

Striker thats a massive lab! geeezus
    Last edited by Pointer; 24-12-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Dogs bite. It's what they do... ALL DOGS!

In my area the three main "culprits" for biting are Labs, Border Collies and jack russell's... because there's more of them than anything else... Percentage wise they come out on top because they are all dogs, the most popular will be the most common to bite.

Dogs biting can be the result of poor breeding, poor socialization, poor handling, poor management and poor interaction, but dogs bite, no breed is immune, some are capable of causing grievous harm and these make headlines... it does not necessarily make them more predisposed to bite, just far more dangerous when they do.

The colour gene is not connected to aggression.

Pointer is right... 99% of this thread is old wives tales... but interesting none the less.
    199p likes this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Thats not a lab its a keg with a head! jeeeezus!

haha i dunno, happy wife happy life!

Oh your wife reply has gone! Does she read this? Chicken

Striker no wonder the big bastard needed a quad bike to get around!

I deleted it, thought it possibly not appropriate to misquote a fellow.

But yip, reading posts or not, stroppiness is I belive inherent in my one.

Fair enough. I found it funny either way

Hows your wire for temperament?

He's a liitle standoffish with strangers now he a bit older [2yrs this month] but after a few minutes he's fine, excellent with other dogs so far.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    He wasnt overly fat but just a totaly solid build.
    : Is that the fat bastard in the pic?

Got a fat bastard here myself I picked up a week ago. Interesting thing, when I went for a bo peep at fat bastard he was a yapping PITA. Got him away from there and a different dog, he'll be another two weeks away from doing anything as he's so 'totaly solid built' that he can't work yet. But the change has been amazing, and has caused it's own problems, namely the war department has taken a shine to him he's so well behaved here. And no he hasn't had a hiding here, haven't needed too.

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    : Is that the fat bastard in the pic?
    Yeah thats him funny thing was he could run for bloody miles when we had the farm and he had this move that if in a fight/standoff with another dog he would somehow sweep their feet and that was that, all over. he was as well as his parents, an old style purebreed lab and they were as big if not bigger than him, I wish Id breed from him now

by the way this is him at 12months old

Merry xmas by the way
    Last edited by striker; 25-12-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: adding pic
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

I'm on my fifth black Lab, three males, 2 females. They are no more aggressive than any other colored lab. Its about you and your training and personal demeanor when other people approach your dog that makes it snappy or not. Gotta love the male Labs, they are always ready to poke their nose up where its not wanted........

The only Lab I ever meet that I didnt like was a lab cross. That was another kettle of fish, but who knows what history that dog had.

Hes got a little tooo good condition on there. Thing is with Labs, if they are allowed to remain overweight, by the time they are 5 or 6 years old they already look 10. No fun at all.

Hi Striker , with all due respect, that is a very big lab. Any lab that you cant see the last one or two ribs on is overweight.. Bet ya loved him to bits eh..