Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Conceding defeat...

Conceding defeat...

This isn't another "which dog" thread. I made up my mind what I wanted but time after time things just fell through whether it was a brit, GSP or GWP. So I'm wondering if it's a sign and whether I should just concede defeat, so I am going to ask a question I never thought I would.
    Can someone who uses labs for indicating deer hunting please tell me what they're like? It'll be for a bit of quail and duck hunting as well but mostly just deer. Appreciate the help in advance. At the moment there are 80 registered litters for sale so I'm bound to get one of them without issues!

BH
    phillipgr likes this.

Here's a good video of a lab working in NZ bush

labrador pointing deer. - YouTube
    Bavarian_Hunter likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

I don't have much experience but noticed Pip has a good nose for sniffing food or whatever I get her onto so when I go for a goat shoot with the bow I'm going to bring her and see if I can get her onto the blood trail. If she follows it like she does the scent of food she'll be great!
    phillipgr likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

what happened to the gwp pup you found

Dogs are like girls. Nothing wrong with a bit of eye candy waiting for Miss Right to come along. Sooner or later the right one will come along and you will fall into sync with each other. Might have to lose a few trying to find the right one though

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Might have to lose a few trying to find the right one though
    Seriously hope you are not talking about dumping a dog the moment you find something better That would be pretty fucked up...
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

ebf
    BH, if you really want a brit, GSP or GWP, be patient, the right dog will turn up. A dog is a 10-15 year commitment, long time to be stuck with one you don't really want...

Labs are very popular here, seems to be the go-to general purpose deer/duck/family dog

Meaning you may have to see a few that don't come your way as in BH original post before the right one comes along. Some people call it destiny
    veitnamcam and ebf like this.

Kawiha - I'd paid for everything, organised the flights to have it sent here and at 1am the morning before it was to happen they sent through a text and pulled out.

I know what you're saying EBF but with those other breeds there was always an issue that either the missus or I had with that breed, this is the first one we can both genuinely agree on. At the end of the day I don't care what I have as long as it's loyal and hunts, the missus wants something cute and cuddly. My whippet has given me hell with his escaping but when it came to the crunch I knew I loved him too much to get rid of him and at the end of the day his companionship is worth the trouble. I'm sure it'll be the same with any other breed of dog.

Cheers Sako - That's how I'm looking at it, when the one comes along I'm meant to have it'll fall into place.

I'm a bit of a softy when it comes to dogs. Wait for the dog/ breed you really want otherwise you will always wonder what if.......................

Follow the ten comandments below

TEN COMMANDMENTS for Dog owner from the dog

1. My life is likely to last 10 - 15 yrs, any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me, it is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your family, your entertainments. But I only have you!!

5. Talk to me, even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when you speak to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember I could hurt you, and yet I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old, you to will grow old.

10. ON THE ULTIMATE DIFFICULT JOURNEY, GO WITH ME PLEASE! NEVER SAY YOU CAN'T BEAR TO WATCH. DON'T MAKE ME FACE THIS ALONE. EVERYTHING IS EASIER FOR ME IT YOU ARE THERE, BECAUSE I LOVE YOU SO!!!
    Dougie, ebf, Toby and 2 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

ebf
    Sound to me like you'd be happy with a lab (super loyal, cute pups, good learners, versatile, great family pet etc) If you can get one with hunting parents you should be sweet.

There is a lot to be said for breeds that are a bit more chillaxed than the hyper drive ones

And if the Mrs likes labs that just makes your life a lot easier.
    Bavarian_Hunter likes this.

Mikee that is bloody brilliant.
    Toby likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Mikee that is bloody brilliant.
    It sure brought the feels on to me
    VIVA LA HOWA

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    It sure brought the feels on to me
    You sentimental SOAB
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Send him a pup kawhia
    OPCz