Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Deer dog

Deer dog

Hey guys
    Just wondering what does it take to train a dog into a deer dog. I have a 6 month purebred lab pup that im training for duck shooting and would like to take her our deer hunting with me more for company then for finding deer. Does it take a special type of dog to take deer hunting? Or is it all through training?. Much appreciated
    mrs dundee likes this.
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Search this topic, there are already heaps if threads.

In my super uneducated opinion, a dog is never going to help you find deer unless you're a great deer hunter already yourself.

The next thing even for a companion dog I guess for me anyway would being able to be quiet, this includes panting. So that's my dog out of the equation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    panting can certainly ruin it for Deer
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Search this topic, there are already heaps if threads.

In my super uneducated opinion, a dog is never going to help you find deer unless you're a great deer hunter already yourself.

The next thing even for a companion dog I guess for me anyway would being able to be quiet, this includes panting. So that's my dog out of the equation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok cool will do
    yea I get what your saying but I was meaning I wanna take my dog in the bush without it scaring deer away, not that I want it to find the deer for me.
    cheers

No reason a lab won't be as good or even better than a versitile . No expert on the subject but my dog (GSP) only walks on heel and indicates buy scenting mostly , ie head up and smelling continuously . Only points when in view of a deer . My dog is a Not a deer dog , but has helped indicate deer I would have walked past . They are deer hunkered down in scrub on tops , and screes .
    I'd say try train him to a standard that any hunting requires . Heel , stop ! Down , etc . If you nail that home . You go nothing to loose .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

if the primary role is that of duck dog, then i would be working on ticking that off first, by that i mean trained as a retriever and all the manners and commands that go with it.
    you will find most of those trained behaviors will set your dog up for a dual role, eg heeling.
    Pointer likes this.

Labs are great in saying that I have a young vizsla also. From the mistakes I made with my lab and trying not to repeat with vizsla get a good stop,heel and sit sorted. They are a bit noisier in the bush than others but are great. My girl.is great for finding deer once shot longerbrange but no good in bush based on the lack of training I put into her hence the new dog. They are easier to train than others based on food as a reward. I am no expert but have had some great help. Stick to the lab and she will be fine
    Even for bush hunting
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Munsey likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Geze that labs onto it
    phillipgr likes this.

Hey Possum,
    Im no expert either. I have a few dogs over the years. I had labs when I was younger, but really had no idea on what I was doing then. I have had a few pitties for yard dogs holding pigs, and also had a few other mongrels for pig hunting. What I did learn was its shit house having disobedient dogs. I had a shocker that was a murderer of stock and other dogs. Used to chase the retard paper boy down the rad all the time, bit untidy to be honest. Ended up smoking him. But I think if I had of learnt to train them properly things would of certainly be different. M last two pitties I got off the lead obedient using the William Koheler method of training. Id recommend it for all med to large dogs. Goggle the method.
    He and his family have written heaps of books on different types of training. It isn't to hard to learn and takes about 3 -4 months on most dogs. if you do it every day for 40 mins. Its not one of these puppy club jobs. It seems harsh sometimes but works premo.
    I think the police dogs, and military dogs start off with something similar. Once you have the obedience down pat you can work on what ever it is you want to use them for. Its loads of fun. Especialy when you get the neighbour hood kids helping you with distractions.

Sounds good will google it up. Cheers for that mate

Possum, just dusted off a copy I have, heres the ISBN 0-87605-657-5. This is about the third book (given the others away) I have had written by Koehler (spelt correct this time).There was an earlier copy about 2 inchs thick had obedience, guard, attack, and trick training. Its a hard copy to find, but it has great info on dog behaviour, traits, sorting problems etc.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidick View Post
    Possum, just dusted off a copy I have, heres the ISBN 0-87605-657-5. This is about the third book (given the others away) I have had written by Koehler (spelt correct this time).There was an earlier copy about 2 inchs thick had obedience, guard, attack, and trick training. Its a hard copy to find, but it has great info on dog behaviour, traits, sorting problems etc.
    Cheers champ
    I searched the fulla on google but couls only find the training where you lead the dog and sit it down and do that 25x. Ill see if i can find me a copy or otherwise i think there is a printable pdf file on his website that might do the trick

Amazon have his books listed...

Amazon.com: koehler dog training: Books
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Amazon have his books listed...

Amazon.com: koehler dog training: Books
    Cheers EeeBees
    Think i might grab a heap of cheapies sit down and sift the good stuff out.