Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Deer Dog

Deer Dog

Hi all, look at getting a Hungarian vizsla for deer hunting, I know there's a lot of posts about how to's and how not to's on training dogs, but im after a book or to on training as I drive trucks and its easier with a book to read than reading on my phone. Any ideas for books with good tips etc would be great. Thanks

Paul M has great series of articles in NZ Hunter mag going back about 6 mths...plurry great read and simple explanations.

if you can get a copy of neils sondergard, dogs for deer. plenty of good pointers in it

Awesome and helpful post @Tussock
    Wirehunt and mikee like this.

Tussock wrote...

but she is prone to forming her own plans and implementing them when I am distracted.

yep, that is what dogs do...according to Chambers, the word bitch is from the Old English bicce or Old Norwegian bikkja for the female of the dog, wolf and fox (also vixen)...it was applied to the female human, not the other way around as you suggest...
    Wirehunt and lophortyx like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Ejected
    Which is why most people should get a low drive lab.

Heading dogs etc are the other way namely highly driven with some brains and it seems people don't realize that too.
    Pointer likes this.

my dog is gunshy but the better hunter. My bitch accompanies me hunting. In the field with both if you call them the dog will be instantly at you side but the bitch will stop, turn, look at you with are " are you sure you want me too " ok maybe i will wander back that way
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Always accidentally straying into the dog section.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Heading dogs etc are the other way namely highly driven with some brains and it seems people don't realize that too.
    My father had the Smithfields...they were great hunters...
    kawhia likes this.

the german sheppard comparison was often repeated by an old mate Campbell chittick, they had some nice Johnson type bulldogs.
    it was a quote from an American police dog guru.............and bull dog breeder from memory.
    after having a Johnson/scott one I can honestly say they have some ability and brains, but no more than a good boxer, and not the higher drive and intelligence of a german sheppard.... and no where near as full on as my old Dogo.
    the american bull dog also taught me a lot about inherited genetic problems as he was a vets wet dream....ironic.

you could have saved the ink on ya key board and just posted the last bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiman View Post
    Hi all, look at getting a Hungarian vizsla for deer hunting, I know there's a lot of posts about how to's and how not to's on training dogs, but im after a book or to on training as I drive trucks and its easier with a book to read than reading on my phone. Any ideas for books with good tips etc would be great. Thanks
    the book dogs for deer, as mentioned has a pretty good following.
    as have many of the hunting mags over the last few years.

now only your first paragraph makes any sense, yes this member has decided to get a vizsla and wants to do some home work on how to go about training it..... maybe he should have posted it in the pedigree/trial dog section you set up bro.

Ejected
    Kiwiman just wants a dog to take deerstalking with him. Surely he has more chance of getting a helpful companion if he chooses a dog that's bred for that specific task as opposed to one that's bred for an entirely different task.

I'd take a pitbull into the bush with me if I was hunting vizslas, not deer lol.
    kawhia, Pointer and EeeBees like this.

Ejected
    Logic (what am I doing bringing that up here) dictates the type of dog someone should get for hunting. Are you a serious hunter that is out at least once a week? Then get a GSP, GWP, collie. If your out once a month if your lucky then a lab or something might be more logical.
    If your out several times a week get two.....
    matai likes this.