Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Deer dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackp. View Post
    I've shot off an email to him so just waiting to hear back. Thought I'd just check out some others as well
    There are no other GWP breeders in AU worth considering. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    There are no other GWP breeders in AU worth considering. Seriously.
    Who could you recommend and from where?

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    This is what I have been told as well, by people who are shooting deer over dogs regularly. I would suggest getting a pointer from a top hunting line for your first deer dog is like getting a ferrari for your first car.
    Totally agree !
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

When choosing a breed or breeder, pics of dogs sitting next to dead deer mean nothing. You need to be convinced that the breeder actually uses the dogs for deer indicating, and that that is what they actually do. Any mug can take of pic of a dead deer and a dog together. I've done it often enough, and the reality has been that the dog had very little or nothing to do with securing the deer.

Pics like the one of my wire indicating (above) actually mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
    I would have to disagree with you there mate.........
    but then I m biased too. Sth island. at least I would say GWP.
    You reckon? I mean I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but it seems like its more common to see guys hunting with GSP than GWP? Like I said, I've never hunted with either so I don't know which is better.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Ejected
    Ok. I'll ask the dumb questions.
    How much dog experience have you got? What type of country do you hunt?
    Both gwp and gsp's can be a handful.

Well I live with the idea that in hunting your never more than 5/10 beacause there is always something to learn any time that you have gone into the bush. Having said that I have spent nearly every spare moment since I was 16 in the bush. So I reckon I can say I an handle myself alright.
    Mostly hunt reds and fallow in flat bush country that varies from 10-150 metres of visibility. Also hunt sambar in the high country but only a couple of times a year. Also hunt them in local mountains that aren't quite as big.

I've had no experience with deer hunting dogs though. I use my whippet for fox and hare hunting but that's it.

Why not the viszla? hasnt got the winey disposition of a GSP and not as willful or dominant as a GWP.

Wow, this is like one of those "what is the best caliber" threads
    What works well for one may not be good for another. The dog you choose may be the fucktard of the breed and end up in a shallow grave with you forever saying that breed is crap for deerstalking
    Bavarian_Hunter likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I was just thinking that.

Tussocks third law of internet forums. Always choose the middle option in a "what to get thread". In any calliber suggestion thread, you will get everything from 17HMR to 50cal reccomended. If you asked for an aircraft you would get recomended everything from a hand glider to the jet fighter.
    Yeah but a MD600N would be the shit as far as aircraft. I want one painted in speights colours and a dirty girl dancing pole in the back cabin

As for dogs I have hunted with and over all sorts. I prefer GSP's. But as said above they can have their drawbacks like any breed. Personally, I reckon you have to have run a few dogs on deer and the like before you know what you want from one. Dont get caught up in spending heaps from a so called reputable breeder for your first.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Yeah but a MD600N would be the shit as far as aircraft. I want one painted in speights colours and a dirty girl dancing pole in the back cabin

As for dogs I have hunted with and over all sorts. I prefer GSP's. But as said above they can have their drawbacks like any breed. Personally, I reckon you have to have run a few dogs on deer and the like before you know what you want from one. Dont get caught up in spending heaps from a so called reputable breeder for your first.
    I just dunno what to do then because I just have no idea how to train one for hunting. I think it would be worth while and I'm not expecting it to find everything thing but I figure if it finds one good stag for me in its lifetime it's paid fr itself.
    Is there anyway of getting advice or help in training one? E.g. Books, training courses or just help from someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackp. View Post
    I just dunno what to do then because I just have no idea how to train one for hunting. I think it would be worth while and I'm not expecting it to find everything thing but I figure if it finds one good stag for me in its lifetime it's paid fr itself.
    Is there anyway of getting advice or help in training one? E.g. Books, training courses or just help from someone?
    Have a look to see if there are any clubs around your way, jack. We have a GSP club in Auckland which puts on all sorts of things for beginners and experienced ones. Won't be for a few more years but when I look to get a deer dog, I'll be joining up.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

R93
    Ya selling yourself short Jack?
    Mate I had limited experience training a dog to hunt when I got my pup. Still dont have all the answers. There was no internet forum like this when I started out with him either. There is some excellent people with free advice on here that will be sure too guide you when you ask.
    I just spent a lot of time on the basics. I made sure he could sit, stay, heel etc and also on hand signal. Thats about it. He honestly did the rest. I shot a few animals with him at the heel and even tho they were easy too find I let him find them and made a wee fuss over him. He seemed to get the gist and was away from there. We both had our bad days and he wasnt the perfect dog but I learnt a lot. He made me a lot of money when I was meat shooting. He went everywhere with me, he even done a heap of time in helicopters. He died over a year ago and hunting just isnt the same without him.
    I reckon some people expect way too much out of their dogs. Get one you want,teach him the basic manners and teach them well and with guidence the rest will fall into place.
    phillipgr likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Ok, here's what you do. Someone has to make your mind up for you :

Get a GWP pup from Sambarman. A bitch. Have it spayed.
    Teach it to heel, sit and stay. There are thousands of books about this, or PM Ruff on here about it.
    Don't take it hunting until it will do these things reliably.
    Don't worry about teaching it what a deer smells like (it could actually teach you on that one).
    Don't rush it.
    In the bush, observe your dog very carefully. Get to know your dog, the way it works and the subtle signals it will give you.
    The rest you will learn together.
    Enjoy.
    popgun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Ya selling yourself short Jack?
    Mate I had limited experience training a dog to hunt when I got my pup. Still dont have all the answers. There was no internet forum like this when I started out with him either. There is some excellent people with free advice on here that will be sure too guide you when you ask.
    I just spent a lot of time on the basics. I made sure he could sit, stay, heel etc and also on hand signal. Thats about it. He honestly did the rest. I shot a few animals with him at the heel and even tho they were easy too find I let him find them and made a wee fuss over him. He seemed to get the gist and was away from there. We both had our bad days and he wasnt the perfect dog but I learnt a lot. He made me a lot of money when I was meat shooting. He went everywhere with me, he even done a heap of time in helicopters. He died over a year ago and hunting just isnt the same without him.
    I reckon some people expect way too much out of their dogs. Get one you want,teach him the basic manners and teach them well and with guidence the rest will fall into place.
    Exactly