Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By phillipgr
  • 3 Post By Wildman
  • 1 Post By Gapped axe
  • 2 Post By The Claw
  • 1 Post By Wirehunt
  • 1 Post By kingstoncowboy

Thread: deer dog training advice

deer dog training advice

Was after any training tips or methods on training for my wanna be deer dog.I have a two year old lab/viszla cross. From a pup i just did basic obedancy training with him he heels, sits, stays on
    hand signals but im not really sure where to go from here. I took him out hunting a few weeks ago and shot a deer that did not go down right away which he took off after and grabbed by the neck and dragged down. I was not really happy about this but it was hard to stay mad when i knew i had a fair chance of loosing the animal otherwise.Do you think its allright for him to chase after the shot?? or should he not be chasing at all.one things for sure he definatly is keen on the deer, carrying it out he would not leave the bloody thing alone.Now im worried next time i see an animal he will bolt on me. It might be months before see another. Any Ideas??

In Red Deer in NZ by Lentle and Saxon they talk about training a deer dog to take down a wounded animal. They even list the guts and size needed to do that as a key consideration when looking at which breeds will do the job. It should be all good bro as long as it learns that it is only to do that on your command, ie when you've wounded an animal, and teach it to heel at any time before you give that command. As for training methods I can't help but one of the hunting mags has done a series on it (could anyone chime in and say which mag and which issues?) that could be helpful. Sounds like you've got a dog with good drive to hunt so now you just have to channel that.

All the best, let us know how you get on.
    Wirehunt likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

I have a "deer" dog. My first. I encouraged him on every deer I shot right from the first as I was worried about potential lack of drive or interest, I wish I hadn't... Next time I will get the Heel command rock fucking solid before I even take him anywhere near game. I think having a dog that heels and didn’t give a toss about game would be much more enjoyable than one that required constant attention which mine does.

So no, I wouldn’t let the wee bugger run off without a release, especially on his first. I see that as the first step down the wrong path... Same with him grabbing the deer while you are carrying it, it is yours deer now, not his... Basically I would worry less about him not being interested in game and worry more about how you want to hunt with him, and getting that right first.
    Munsey, Link and Hunty1 like this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I have a dog that's reasonable on deer. The basic commands are your first requirement, more importantly if these can be done by hand signals alone. Install into the Dog that it hunts for you and not the other way around. If I shoot at a Deer I have to use voice commands to keep her in, Bloody strong voice commands sometimes. If I'm tracking a wounded or downed deer I put The dog on a lead so that I control the dog and not the other way around. Put your heel out every once and while whilst you are carrying game out. A couple of hard landings on your heel should detour the dog from dragging on the Carcase. Other wise tell the dog in no certain terms who's Boss.
    Wildman likes this.

I have a Viszla at the same age and have a relatively similar problem, He takes off after the shot but does not run the deer down instead he seems to want to play with it.
    I think your dogs thirst for dragging the animal down is great but taking off without your say so must be stamped out. Im still trying to figure this one out for myself. I have a rope tied to his collar but am usually too slow to get my foot to the rope before he is gone.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    I have a Mendota Versa Belt lead that I thought I would use as a back up to getting the basics solid. My GWP is just on 20 weeks now, and is showing plenty of deer drive. I'm just taking him out for armed tramps at the moment, no intention of shooting a deer, just getting him onto them in a controlled manner. Once the days draw out a bit I'll be able to get a bit more training into him, but from what I have done with him so far, and what I've seen of him when out hunting, I'm really excited about the future, but I'm in no hurry to get there.

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=i&rc...75134454651365
    Steve338 and Munsey like this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Ejected
    Get it real tight on that 'heel'. I don't care so much after the shot, but before it is hell important.
    Gibo likes this.

Hi Guys, I have a Vizsla too, When I take a shot at a deer, Oskar waits till I give the command to "find it", He'll be on point normally or by my side, he wont Break until I give the command to. It's "very important to control your dog in the situation", so you can hear what the deer is doing after being shot or where it is going, mind you Oskar will find it anyway.
    And yes, when we find the dead deer, he goes for the neck sometimes or has a wee lick around the blood areas etc, just watch some of my vids on youtube.
    I always praise Oskar after he finds any animal I have shot and will let him find it first, even if I know where it is, and give him some neck meat as a reward for finding it.

I wouldn't let Oskar chase an animal, bad habit to get into.
    Also make sure you have control of your dog before you take the shot too!!.
    Don't let your dog too far out in front, always control the distance, and if your onto a deer, keep him tight with you or as long as you can control him from his distance from you, while you take the shot.
    Sometimes Oskar has been about 10m away from me while I take the shot but under control.

This is of course my opinion.
    phillipgr likes this.