Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Dogging done.

Ejected

Dogging done.

Due to the fact I can't get cockies onto the fact that regular control is the best way. And the fact that no, you can't work for 25 bucks an hour or some other bullshit rate that some clowns with do it for, I've chucked the main part of the rabbiting away. If something doesn't happen soon the bike etc will be gone too.

The hardest thing I've ever in my life had to do? Give all those dogs away. Fuck, it still bringing a tear to my eye.

They have gone to good homes. Two guys have taken them all, one a forum member but I don't think he comes here much if at all these days is @rabbiter I talk with him regularly and he can't believe how good they ALL go. He thought as most would, yeh yeh, whatever. "if there is a couple of good ones I'm doing well".
    His tune has changed considerably now. He ended up with eight or nine I think, can't remember. Talking to him the other day and he's raving about them all, even got him back into it with a heap of vigor. "A real credit to you...."

The best job in NZ? Running a full rabbiting pack on all kinds of country. How effective is it? @headcase is going over some of that ground covered by them and can't believe how clean it is.

To all the prospective hunters that want to run dogs.
    There is a fucking good reason that lot are such good dogs.
    Time, and a fuckload of it.
    The whole pack lived with me all the time. There was no leave them in the kennel, cause the kennel was a box on the back of my ute. So that meant they had to be run a minimum of three times a day. Morning, normally an empty so only 60-90 minutes (I'm soft). Afternoon if we weren't hunting was at least 1.5 but normally 2.5 hours then a quick 30 minute at night. Usually I caved (that soft thing) and they had another run in there somewhere.

They worked three out of four days whenever I had the work. They weren't overworked on one day. I needed them to be good to go the next. Others will work them hard for a day, maybe two, then they are fucked for the next three.

I knew them inside out. If there was a fight I knew who and why. If there was one slacking there was a reason and I had a fucking good idea what it was. Normally it involved bitches and heat cycles, whether it was the bitches cycling or the dogs getting a bit worked up about that. If there was a dog that would slide off for a 'self hunt' I knew who. Who would turn up a bit later than she should? Always a bitch, always she decided it was time for a quick feed. 15 dogs and I could tell you who it was barking in the box. That is except for two, a father and son, never really worked out which it was.
    There was only two that would really scrap, two bitches and they are still doing it down at rabbiters place. Coffee the head bitch and the fucking whippet bitch.

Here's one about her. She came from CHCH, her and her brother. The bright people I got them off decided to get him cut cause they didn't want any inbreeding. The fuckwits. Anyway back to Karla the whippet bitch. The only reason she is still alive is because she is a pure whippet. If she wasn't any good as a rabbiter she was good for breeding. First day out the pair of them had the electric collars on them, there was stock somewhere and I wasn't going there.

Off we went, and when the two whippets realised what we were after they were gone!!! The button got hit long, hard and a lot of times to no avail. All good, first time and big learning curve. A couple of more times of that shit and they were coming around to not going so far. Then Karla decided she was gunshy, she'd get out fine then see the gun and back into the box. FUCK, still, a good breeder.
    So off we'd go each day and Karla would go through the same routine and be back in the box. Then one day we were out and I spotted her a way the fuck out, watching. This lasted a few days, each time her getting just a little closer. Then a few rabbits went her way with the team hard up their arse, about then she started to get involved. Within four or so days she was a part of the team properly.
    Fucked if I know why she thought she was headed for main bitch. She I can tell you one of her pups, must be about eight months old now, caught a 180+ lb boar the other day Another one that has gone to the guy with the rest of the dogs has already said the pup he has is headed for being a top dog.

@EeeBees The lanyard you made me only ever came off when I had a shower. It's now in my daughters 'keep safe' box, a momento from when dad was a rabbiter...

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Wirehunt, that must be gut wrenching for you giving your dogs away. All the best for the future.
    Wirehunt likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

And that is why I have two pet dogs,I would love to have a "deer" dog but relise that I simply do not have the time to put into one.

All the best Wirehunt.
    mikee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Sad to read this, WH. All the best for whatever the future brings.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

It was a real pleasure seeing those dogs work. They were a real credit to you.

Hopefully it'll be some solace at least to know that they're still mostly together, and still working hard.

All the best for the future.

(You probably don't have a clue who this username is, but my brother and I have shot with you and Headcase a few times)

@Wirehunt my thoughts are with you. I wish you all the very best.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Ejected
    Onto it now @StrikerNZ

Don't know 7mm. Wondering that myself. I can tell you Dunners is dead on the job front, and I've got to work local now too as I've got the boy full time and girl child wants me around and close to her....

I can tell you she's been a cunt of a year.

Look after your kids, time will sort it for you, all the best!
    veitnamcam and BRADS like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Lifes a bitch then you lose em...........the dogs
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    @Wirehunt You're a pipe fighter too, right?

Ejected
    Yep.

Fulla
    how did the dogs work with you to get the rabbits?
    did they disturb them for you to shotgun, or just plain run them down...
    its typical now days, nobody seems to look at a quality job, just looking for the cheapest, then a man cant live and the experienced men leave.

Ejected
    Both bully, or put them down holes for ferreting or gassing. Or run them into longnets.
    bully likes this.

Hard call that, thanks for sharing with us
    Wirehunt likes this.
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

Putting a second hand or young pot licker through all the learning curves can take a special person.Building up a pack all in one operation is a major special to the owner when complete. It is bloody hard work,hundreds of dedicated hours are needed to hone each and every mutt.
    One becomes more than just attached,I do know that. When the shit hits the fan and (work) has to come to a stop it becomes a living hell. Those mutts are a huge part of yourself and to part with each and all is not a nice situation to be in.I've been there.
    Hope all goes well for you wirehunt you done well with those mutts,chin up.