Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: GSP fainting

GSP fainting

So when I'm out running the dog he some times gets, what looks like, a light head, starts wobbling and looks like he is going to faint. He doesn't go into any sort of fit and I can't see any behaviour change that brings them on.

Have been to the vet and done bloods with no insight...

It tends to come in when he is hot and excited from a gun shot so vets advice is to stop taking him hunting...

Any one had a similar issue? Don't really want to stop hunting him because he enjoys it so much.

More fulids might help?
    kawhia and JoshC like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Yeah have tried that.

GSP
    Sounds like hypoglycaemia (sp?) which is low blood sugar. I would also get bloods done to check all ok inside, did vet check heart?
    For low blood sugar go back to 2 feeds a day. You won't want to feed a large amount if dog is going hunting or running in the early am, but you can take along a cheese and honey sandwich, or doggy power bar if you can get them here, to keep dogs engine running.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP View Post
    Sounds like hypoglycaemia (sp?) which is low blood sugar. I would also get bloods done to check all ok inside, did vet check heart?
    For low blood sugar go back to 2 feeds a day. You won't want to feed a large amount if dog is going hunting or running in the early am, but you can take along a cheese and honey sandwich, or doggy power bar if you can get them here, to keep dogs engine running.
    Thanks will try that. Vet did bloods to check organs. Checked heart beat too. Next step they said was a harness monitor... He gets two feeds a day...

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Talking with Gail Blankley the other night one thing she checks for was "exercised induced coma". Its genetic I understand. More common in labs http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vbs/prod/grou.../cvm_91990.avi
    Wildman likes this.

EIC has been found in GSP's, an easy test to rule out.... if he has a total collapse I would get it done.
    heart condition, lack of fitness, hydration and sugar levels could be an issue.
    a blood sample taken when he reaches this point could be worth while, I had a lab years ago that had what is now called EIC and had to do it to check and see if anything showed up.
    check his diet as I know of a gwp that fitted like an epileptic in the same circumstances you describe, the owner changed the diet and she went clear for 3 years before a relapse when he changed her diet back.
    Wildman likes this.

Oh and @Wildman, good luck. I hope you get it sorted.
    Wildman, 199p, R93 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Talking with Gail Blankley the other night one thing she checks for was "exercised induced coma". Its genetic I understand. More common in labs http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vbs/prod/grou.../cvm_91990.avi
    I think I might have it.
    Wildman and EeeBees like this.

There's nothing worse than when your canine mate develops a problem and you can't suss what it is If only they could talk eh?
    Hope you get it sorted.

Had a WHP that used to do the same , only when in big hill country . She would go hard and if she locked on point after a few hours on the hill , she could go into a fit when the game flushed . Barley sugars used to bring her around . Medically I don't what was going on ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Have decided to take him out to the Massey vets to see what they think, apparently they might like to look at some thing wierd....
    kiwijames likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Have decided to take him out to the Massey vets to see what they think, apparently they might like to look at some thing wierd....
    My parents GSP went to Massey as he an issue with his nose where he was always sneezing. Turned out he had sniffed up an aluminium can tab and it had been there for possibly years. Both x-ray and MRI scans could not differentiate the aluminium and it took a bit of head scratching at Massey to finally work out what it was. Definitely in the something weird catagory.
    Wildman and Fubar like this.

Good luck Wildman
    Wildman likes this.

GSP
    I had a GSP that had low blood sugar fits. Vet had to take blood at right time to find that out, I think it was first thing am before eating or just when she'd had one - so long ago can't remember. You can give them barley sugar or a sweet but that wears off quick so something that will last them a few hours, sort of slow release, is of more help. I just carried something to for her eat during the hunts and gave her a snack now and then. They come out of it like nothing happened.
    Also knew a Vizsla that had this too. It was not well researched though we tried to find out as much as we could, don't know if it is yet.
    Wildman likes this.