Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Gunshy dog

Update,
    My dog is pretty used to the 22 now. I fire about 10 rounds each training session with him sitting and get progressively closer. I've worked my way up to firing it right beside him when he's sitting and he won't take off, but he's not happy about it either- body languages says he still a little bit scared. I probably have moved in too fast for him (it's taken a couple of months to get to this stage anyway).

I have fired a couple of 308 blanks at about 100m away from him and got the missus to give him a treat. While he will keep sitting he is obviously a bit scared (just looks like a sad dog).

Currently I'm planning on keeping going with the 22 for a few more weeks. Maybe back off back out to 100metres and try progressing more slowly, maybe 10 metres closer a week. Maybe fire less rounds per training session to make it a bit easier for him too.

Anybody got any advice? To hunt deer with a dog do you need it to be happy for the gun to be fired or just good enough to tolerate the gun being fired without running off? I'm torn between just getting him comfortable enough to not run off and getting him perfectly happy around it and then shooting an animal and hoping that he figures it all out.

I was thinking maybe I'll go out with him and shoot a couple of possums/rabbits with the 22 and then let him catch them. Seeming as he just tolerates the gun that might get him a bit more excited about it. What do you think?

Bloody pain in the arse this is.. I just want to take the little fella hunting he's got a demon nose on him.

I'll be thankful for any input,
    Cheers

R93
    Mate I am no expert by any means but I think if you make the activity fun for the dog you will get better results.

Stash a rabbit walk up and fire a shot with someone holding the dog at a distance you think he will be comfortable. Then get the dog to retrieve it. Make it enjoyable and fuss over the dog a bit when it does well.

Have a result that goes with the sound if you know what I mean.

My last dog was a sook when it come to water. Hated it.

Just made sure I did a lot of stuff with him around water. Used to wade out to fish etc.
    He eventually got sick of missing out and I struggled for the rest of his life to keep him dry.😆

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    EeeBees likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Cheers thats a good idea I hadn't thought of stashing a rabbit

Ejected
    Don't use possum unless you want a possum dog. Nothing wrong with using a lump of deer skin.