Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: how do you stop a dog being a Trail barker

Where are you martin358? There may be a dial-a-guru / pooch whisperer nearby

dont be in a hurry, take your time . . admit to yourself that everything you thought you knew was wrong ( i blame Disney type TV / movies ) . . be kind to the Dog, its not bad or trying to fck you off . . it doesnt speak English and has no idea why your upset when it gets back.

when the light comes on, and it will if you keep at it . . . you will have a truly great experience while out hunting with a Dog.

good luck . . R
    headcase, EeeBees and Micky Duck like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

She is hunting for herself not you mate ;-) Bungy cord attached to you and consistency with how you handle her breeding may while be an issue you can't make a flushing dog into a pointer and vice versa

Ok, i'll stop taking her out hunting and try to get her to be better on the lead ect. I don't beat my dogs, when i disicpline them i hold the bottom jaw and smack the nose with a finger while growling at them.This worked with an old dog i inherited from my brother and after a while i only had to point at him and he would sit and stop what he was doing.The guy i got her off was moving and he told me she was a good pointer, maybe he was telling porkies. I certainly wont shoot her, she is too nice a pooch for that, i would find a new home for her instead. I appreciate the advice and if anyone is a dog whisperer in the wairarapa i would like advice on how to remedy this situation. Thank you all.

I think in all honesty you should find a new home for the dog. Your hearts in the right place when it comes to looking after the dog but the punishment thing is disturbing.
    You need some instruction on getting the best from your dog without resorting to flicking it on the nose, so focus on your failings rather than the dogs. Train yourself. Hence my view is if you wish to continue, get some help. One on one, or group training, from real professionals or hunting dogs groups.. right from the very beginning.
    Ruff, Dublin and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    Attachment 70010

I was given Lucy a month ago. Her previous owner said she was a good deer pointer and got him onto a couple of deer ok. Today for the second time i went into the forestry block im allowed in and a couple of hundred yards in a deer crashed off through the trees. I couldn't see it as it was a bit dark still and Lucy the super dog didnt even hear it. I had a choker muzzle on her so i hooked the lead on , she had worn it yesterday ok and i left it on all night, but she spent the next few minutes fighting it so i let her off. I walked up a road and was just about to step into the thick bush and she took off barking and chased a hind that was only about 4 metres away and i would probably walked onto. She dissappeared away into the distance and i could hear her barking as she chased the lucky animal. She came back about 20 minutes later happy as larry. She didn't take any noyice of the scolding so i put the lead on her collar for the rest of the trip.Saw lots of fresh sign but she wasn't interested in any of it.Walking out i let her off and let her run around but she dissappeared into the trees again and barked up another animal and took of again for a few minutes. Came back again [damm]so we went to the ute and came home. My problem is how do i stop her from barking and get her to point as she should do .Any advice is welcome , failing that does anyone want a very affectionate dog.
    me thinks yon we slut has a year or two on her already and you my friend have been sold/given the classic 5 quid super dog we all dream of but never get.
    B]got him onto a couple of deer ok[/B].
    yea meaning he saw them she took off and he never saw them again but he did her when she got tired or hungry enough to come back.
    god this brings back memories few of the good.
    maybe he was telling porkies. I certainly wont shoot her, she is too nice a pooch for that, i would find a new home for her instead.
    no maybe about it old son .
    try it on birds it looks Brittany ish possibly got to much energy for a townie home

I'm no expert but it just sounds like a dog that hasn't been trained at all.. doesn't seem like there's anything there that couldn't be trained out of it
    Dublin likes this.

It's takes a easly a year to train a deer dog from pup and then training it more over the following 6-8 months on the hill .. and thats with no retraining

Ruff is right .. I would put money on the fact this dog used to pull hard on beer scent and has been dissaplined because of it and is now blinking deer sighn . Knows you can't stop it from chasing ect

You got alot more work to do then just teaching this dog stop and heal
    Dublin likes this.

MSL
    Re-home and move on

Met up with a friend of the previous owner and he told me that Lucy never went hunting with him, i was told porkies so he could find a new home as he was moving. Never mind , she is a lovely pooch.

Look at it this way. if a honest competent trainer was to train a finished ! deer dog doubt it would be leaving there hands for under 6k ish more if it was that good
    3kish for half finished ect . Good dogs don't get given away
    Ruff likes this.

Ejected
    You could just send her down here. It's what I want in rabbit dogs
    headcase, Ruff, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    Met up with a friend of the previous owner and he told me that Lucy never went hunting with him, i was told porkies so he could find a new home as he was moving. Never mind , she is a lovely pooch.
    Martin358, I am sorry that this is the case... not fair to you AT ALL ... you can and I am sure you will, put things right with Lucy, go slow and steady and she will get the idea ... it won't happen overnight (as you are well aware!!) but it will happen ... good luck and I cannot wait to read of your hunting adventures with Lucy ...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Re-home and move on
    I think this is probably your best option, except to add that the time between now and getting a replacement may well be best spent researching training options for future dogs.
    Wirehunt and headcase like this.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    The joys of picking up free to good home deals.....they rarely do what's promised.
    I'd spend more time with the dog in and around home before even considering hitting the bush....and you've done that twice in less than a month, it's common to hear these stories from pig hunters and the result is usually another ponga fertiliser.
    The bond between a hunter and dog for a deer dog needs a fair bit of time to mature into anything, you would never get that in a month.
    Depending on where the dog is at i can wait up to 3 months or even 6 months before i take a dog bush with me. Got one at the moment that came completely broken and a nervous wreck as was beaten to a pulp prior and going to be shot. Once i'd determined where she was at had to wait 6 months before i could take her bush. Shes now my favorite hound, but took alot of patients and effort to build the trust and lift her self-esteem again.

Must of had her about 9 months or so and am only now starting to hone in on her hunting and shaping her to how i like things done in that regard. Once that relationships in check then you can start working on the hunting component. Benefit being once you have the control aspect in place then the hunting is the easy bit!

My 2c...

Edit...Oh only quoted you Kawhia as absolutely agree with your comment!
    Last edited by Dublin; 11-06-2017 at 04:07 PM.