Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

I-vomec for dogs

I have changed from the yearly heart-worm treatment for the mutts to the oral I-vomec for cattle helps with other worms fleas and ticks to a certain extent. Very well priced with a 1ml to each

Name:  DSC_1474.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  996.0 KB

10kg not sure if you have the same issues in NZ but certainly worth looking at if it is the case.

Cheers

Rob

Has anybody heard of/used Flea Flee?
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I appreciate that it is dangerous to take things for granted and in this case there may very well be a different formulation for bovine Ivomec in your area. I'm all for using cheaper but effective remidies for dogs and I have the assistance of one of the most respected canine vets in all of Ireland in Gerry Scullion M.R.C.V.S. and bovine Ivomec is the one product he says can't/shouldn't be used on dogs. His exact words were, " For Christ sake you could kill the dog."

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    point taken
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

1 ml is for up to 30kg and for some reason toxic to collie/heading dogs, vets here used to use it and still do in bad cases of mange.
    think i paid 2.30 for the last lot i got for a pig.

Just to clear the air, I have done this with my vets guidance and recommendation, It is not back yard science. I will ask him about these issues to to make sure.

Cheers Rob

Might be easier on the dog to feed one of the dog rolls with garlic in it ,its a natural wormer or add garlic to the diet.
    I-vomec maybe a bit harsh on the digestive tract .
    Gun control means using both hands

Id heard that Ivomec made heading dogs go tits up, interesting to here it confirmed here

Heading type dogs have a specific gene which makes them to susceptible to the chemical make up of that drug.[animal drenches] Use pumpkin seeds i.e. whole ,uncooked and spoonful [via coffee grinder] in dogs food. Acts as a flusher for worms.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Heading type dogs have a specific gene which makes them to susceptible to the chemical make up of that drug.[animal drenches] Use pumpkin seeds i.e. whole ,uncooked and spoonful [via coffee grinder] in dogs food. Acts as a flusher for worms.
    Well do that thanks
    VIVA LA HOWA

Ivomec is indeed not accepted for dogs and can be lethal. Ivermectine the active product in Ivomec can be letal for dogs. Dogs can have a MDR-2 deficiency in wich case Ivermectine is very dangerous for them. MDR-2 deficiency can be checked in the blood. If they are OK you can use the product without any danger. Mostly collie type dogs are prone to this deficiency, but also Australian cattle dogs and dogs with very snipy noses.
    On the other hand Ivomec is used a lot and very few problems happen. I also use it every now and then. A lot of Irish friends use it with no problems. But as there's a Murphy's law, we all know that at a moment the unexpected happens. I never use it on my top trial dogs or dogs wich are valuable for breeding. If something would happen ,those would be the first.
    Ivomec/Ivermectine also does NOT work for tapeworm.
    My vet tells me the first sign is the head of the dog that swells. A jab of cortisones will save the dog, but ther is no time to loose. I live in Belgium and have at least 5 / 6 vets within a 15 min drive from the kennel, so it can go quick. If you're in a remote place wich would take a long drive to the vet, you will probably be to late. Maybe you can find a vet who will explain you how to treat the dog with cortisones yourself and get a bottle. In this case Ivomec is a good/cheap wormer, tick, flea,mite treatment. Do not forget to use another product every 2 or 3 worming sessions, to treat the tapeworm.

I also use Panacur 10% liquid wormer for cattle/sheep on the dogs. This is cheap, effective, good and safe. 1ml/2kg bodyweight for 3 consecutive days. A 20 kg dog gets 10ml for 3 days.

i think my dog might have a dose of the "clap" anyone know where i can get some sulphate of mercury ? :-P
    shooting .17 ackley hornet so size dos'nt matter