Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Kiwi aversion

Had my GWP done Saturday.No charge quick and easy.:thumbsup

Thames Valley Deer Stalkers are having Kiwi Aversion 18th June (Saturday) You must ring to book a time with DOC..07 867 9080.
    Aversion is at club behind Paeroa. If they don't get more than 15 bookings it may not go ahead.
    It is a 10 minute (if that) walk with the dog around dummy Kiwi, blue duck type models. any interest shown by dog is penalised with a quick zap by remote to dogs collar.
    The dog learns real quick.
    Certificate is current for 1x year only..then must be repeated.
    If you wish to use dog in Urewera, a 3x digit number must be tattooed in ear of dog. (Pig dogs only permitted in Urewera, no deer indicator dogs allowed) DOC usually do tattoo at same time.
    I have never been charged by DOC. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickcol View Post
    Thames Valley Deer Stalkers are having Kiwi Aversion 18th June (Saturday) You must ring to book a time with DOC..07 867 9080.
    Aversion is at club behind Paeroa. If they don't get more than 15 bookings it may not go ahead.
    It is a 10 minute (if that) walk with the dog around dummy Kiwi, blue duck type models. any interest shown by dog is penalised with a quick zap by remote to dogs collar.
    The dog learns real quick.
    Certificate is current for 1x year only..then must be repeated.
    If you wish to use dog in Urewera, a 3x digit number must be tattooed in ear of dog. (Pig dogs only permitted in Urewera, no deer indicator dogs allowed) DOC usually do tattoo at same time.
    I have never been charged by DOC. hope this helps.
    How can doc tell what a dogs for?! Surely they have the same inpact if they go wild!! Tattosing dogs ears?? Surely that is what microchipping is for so he dogs chip number goes on the registor?

Kiwi aversion didnt make a difference for me on the island with doc land. Tlad to say that there are starting to be a few incentives to take your dog through The system though

Absolutely agree. No deer indicator dogs and tattoo is a new rule by maori since taking over control of Urewera. (not DOC).

my girl had her first aversion training two years ago for $20 did her last year for $20 passed %100 on first year stuff introduced weka she indicated and got a tickle but didnt go against her record, she is due again in June if she passes again %100 then i only need to test her every two years from then on. i think its a great service and we owe it to our native wildlife to train our dogs against attacking them.
    mrs dundee and Steve123 like this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

It's the Urewera. Deer bailing dogs are OK heaven forbid your dog indicating one!

They do a lot of aversion training in eastern bop. If your dog is anything over than a vizsla or GSP then you will be able to get a urewera permit. Not to say I have heard of guys with pointers told they cannot hunt the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    It's the Urewera. Deer bailing dogs are OK heaven forbid your dog indicating one!
    yeah when me and @Mohawk660 stayed at mid way the locals had a pack of 6 dogs with gps collars, when we walked out they where dogging some deer out of the hills. dont really agree with that practice.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

Hey Mucko, long time. Ben told me about your pup, sorry to hear

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    My Dogs hate frozen kiwis, so do I for that matter
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Hey Mucko, long time. Ben told me about your pup, sorry to hear
    cheers mate it over a year now it still sucks losing Holly, have got Ava now shes a heading/hunterway still very much a puppy but has the potential to be a good deer dog.