Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Seeking Lurcher Pup

Cool Seeking Lurcher Pup

Hi everyone, newbie to site and loving the forums. I live in the Far North and am seeking a whippet or greyhound first cross pup to be my lamping dog.Target rabbits and hares.I have been keeping an eye on TM for ages but any that come up seem to only have a dash of sighthound, I am looking for something lighter boned.Eyedog cross would be perfect.If anyone can help be much appreciated,thanks for looking.Mark.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome EvilRoy
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

P38
    G'day Evilroy Slade

I had a whippet as a youngster.

She was dynamite on rabbits.

Have you thought about adopting an ex-racing Greyhound.

Cheers
    Pete
    Pengy likes this.

Thanks Rushy,
    Yeah P38, had thought about it but feel that by the time they are moved on from racing there is not much hope of instilling any recall into them.Sighthounds are not exactly renowned for recall as it is.Cheers.
    Wirehunt and Dougie like this.

What part of the Far North are in ??

Welcome enjoy

Sometimes this site has lurchers:

https://www.facebook.com/Retired.WorkingDogs

Otherwise check out the SPCA, even look outside your area as Turangi SPCA often has eye dog cross puppies and lighter set mungrels. Good luck.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

My parent's dog died in feb, so I got on trade me to find them a rescue dog - they ended up with a lurcher - she was advertised as a foxy x....6 months old, free to a good home. Wicked dog - energy to burn though, and bright as a button! Have a browse around..

EvilRoy if you hear of anything decent I'm in the market for a lurcher too, either Collie Greyhound first X or Saluki Collie First X. I must admit though after just arriving back in NZ after being away for a long time I think I'd take anything just to get back at the Hares again.
    Cheers

Find a greyhound bitch and breed your own would be the easiest way.

Ejected
    Go some pups on the dirt at the moment, 3/4 whippet and a touch of foxy and springer. Wouldn't know it to look at them though.

Those ex racing greyhounds are good if you want a mutt that can run and nothing else. I mean nothing.
    nevereadyfreddy and Topdog like this.

Kawhia cheers for the info. That looks like where I'll have to start and I hadn't ruled it out but just wanted to save a little time that's all. I've got some good mates in the Uk could send me something over that's working and doing the job already but that's expensive and will take a minimum of 6 months but could be quicker than breeding my own. We used to run big dogs in the Uk " up to 26" and over, but for here I only want something about 24". Not Whippet x or anything with terrier, they're too light for me and don't have the stamina for 9 & 10 good races on a days coursing.The traditional lurcher is collie greyhound 1stX which is fine and there's plenty working collies around on the farms the problem is finding one that still has it's nuts in tact.
    Even thought of bringing one in from Aussie but if I'm doing that I might as well bring in a Saluki X from the UK as they're proving to be the top coursing dogs

Wirehunt,
    Totally agree, that's all a greyhound is good for "1 race" and call it a day,anything over 400 Metres and it's time for the car home. Not bad for Sika deer near a forest if you've got only a few hundred metres and need a speed machine but after that forget them.

Ejected
    If your only getting 9-10 out of a dog for the day you need to see some decent whippety types going.

nah you need endurance.....saluki gives you that in a longdog