Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: sick dog

not long been into town to see her. seems to be keeping food down at this stage.(no bowl movement at this stage ) not drinking but is on a drip. can hold her head up and happy to clean herself etc. but still not able to stand like she drunk the vet said. so fingers crossed has improved since yesterday but not alot.

My fingers are crossed for ya mate Bigbear, as are our mutts paws.
    We are all hoping for a speedy recovery
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Haven't said anything before but I've been watching closely Bigbear, as I'm guessing are more than a few others.
    Hope all goes well for the hound.
    And You!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hope she has a speedy and full recovery bigbear. Our vizsla developed a strange illness which the vets couldn't diagnose nor treat. Turned out our rental was contaminated with bloody P! Got rid of soft furnishings and curtains etc and she came right but was a real worry for a bit. Good luck with your dog,wishing you all the best.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

thanks all for the kind words of support . got a good vet but nothing is jumping out at this stage for him but she seems to be stable so see what tonight brings. just frustrating
    stumpy and Sideshow like this.

Hope she come right, terrible to have these worries , especially around Xmas.
    mikee likes this.

if she has run through a lot of onga onga they seem to start coughing as though something is stuck in their throat( first symptoms .throat swelling) before going wobbly.condition quickly deteriorates. the vet has treated her for allergic reaction. to recover properly it can take a week,the dog being depressed, low energy during this time.talking to others who have experienced this problem, some dogs react badly,while others don't.also they seem to build resistance after repeated exposure. also the nettle is more poisonous at various times of the year.
    tetawa and sometimes like this.

Man your nz nettles must be strong has really no effect on dogs here apart from saw and itching after a day of working through it after birds.
    Hope that she comes right mate.

UPDATE; vet rang tonight to say see got up on her feet and walk out side sniffing around still wobbly on her feet. but the best she has been and a big improvement, still on drip and was going to get more steroids.still no bowl movement.it she gets better am happy to share a big back steak with her
    This time of year the nettle seems to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Man your nz nettles must be strong has really no effect on dogs here apart from saw and itching after a day of working through it after birds.
    Hope that she comes right mate.
    been know to kill horses, calves and one reported human death in the sixties. the needles will go though clothing and week later can still throb.

just picked her up from the vets .not a lot more he could do there . She is walking but still very weak so only time will tell. seems happy to be home had her first drink just now. didn't like that town water
    Rusky, Sideshow and 223nut like this.

Does anyone have a foto of this plant? It sounds real bad
    Ya can't park there mate.

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    Does anyone have a foto of this plant? It sounds real bad
    Just google Ongaonga or Urtica ferox.
    kidmac42 likes this.

Good to hear she is getting better, I would hate our little foxy cross to run into that stuff, probably kill her.

to be working and then go down so fast you would think poison or a reaction to something shes either come into contact with or eaten, I am no vet ( signwriter ) but I know a bit.
    Our Lab got similar symptoms after a walk in the bush, I think secondary poisoning from possum shit, had your dogs problems plus breathing was very labored and liver failure. Dog pulled through but distressing to watch and you feel powerless to help.
    Put me off poison for life and that's including Possums, rabbit's etc very inhumane .

Hope the dog pull's through, best of luck mate.
    veitnamcam likes this.