Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: sick dog

She's in the right place vets should sort.hope she comes wright.Been a dog down at this time of the year is no good for your blood pressure. I carry antihistamines in my hunting kit for the wasps that seem to like me.Had my Visla get stung wasps and another time with nettle similar reaction swelling around eyes head real sad and abit wobbly so banged a pill in her started to improve in 20 minutes all good after an hour.

UPDATE; seems to be improving slowly eating, sleeping not drinking a lot. still a little wobbly in the back end but walking around when i let her .. got a burst of energy and had a little trot. wanted to hop up on the sxs this afternoon must have thought we were of to work.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Good news man.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

When was she on heat last? For the record antifreeze causes kidney failure not liver failure but unlikely to be the case here by the sound of it anyway. Did the vet do any blood tests? How is the dog now? Crapping and weeing? There is a pretty big list of possibilities until things can be narrowed down a bit, including nettle, overheat (can affect them even 2 weeks later) lepto pyometra obstruction etc etc etc probably all sorted now anyway.
    Last edited by ethos; 28-12-2016 at 08:54 PM.

dog had been fixed before i got her .have had her for 12months. nothing showed up on the blood test and urine test. pooing and weeing now. eating and drinking . walking around not to bad now. get the odd wobble. slowly getting back to her self just down on energy.

That sounds really positive anyway mate, hope shes back to herself real soon. have seen a few cases of dogs with ongaonga and had a client (and dogs) hospitalised when his dogs bailed a pig in the middle of a tree nettle bush! Not nice stuff but the prognosis is good this far out if thats what this was.
    Ruff and stingray like this.

sounds like what happened to my mates dog when it ran through some nettles in the ureweras.
    Was with the vet for a week!

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Glad shes on the mend mate
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

she is up and about wanting to run and play with the other dogs. Eating , drinking as per normal. Happy to run down the drive (80m) when am taking the other dogs for a run. Then I tie her on the back. Reluctant to let her do any more exercise at this stage. want to make sure she's 100% before i do to much with her. Glad i made the call to take her straight in to the vets when i did.

awesome news good start to the year
    keneff likes this.

we dipping in the weeks leading up to christmas

Onga onga sounds suss, no ticks on her? They can make a dog pretty crook.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

am still convinced it was the onga onga. we dipped a few days before she got croak and she was tied up away from where we dipped and didn"t use the dogs to take them away. I will have a look in the morning to see what you used.
    Ruff likes this.

I think you are probably right about the OngaOnga!
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Our gsp x had her first run in with ongaonga last night, she got carried away chasing a possum and put her head into a bunch of small nettle. Thought we had got away with it as she showing no ill effects and was happily running round for another hr before we got home. By the she was starting to do a little cough but nothing else. By this morning was coughing constantly, dribbling and constantly rubbing her muzzle. Walking very tenderly and a few tremors in a front leg. Still drinking and eating so just keeping an eye on things rather than rushing to the vet. Good lesson for all involved. Interestingly the Mini schnauzer she was running with was also in there and had no adverse effects, suspect one of the benifits of being a hairy little sod.