Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Pointer
  • 9 Post By JasonW
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 2 Post By JasonW

Thread: Teckel

Teckel

Has anyone tried using a Teckel as a deer/game indicating dog like they do in Europe?

I think they are used after the shot in a tracking capacity rather than as an indicator dog like we do here.

used for tracking and driven game. not indicating.

I spoke to a couple of people in the UK and they recon they will indicate as well as track, so I wondered if anyone here used one?

Plenty of DD people also have them in Germany but all are used as part of a pack, they are actually a hound, not used like we use them for indicating as most bugga off and need a lead, they do get used for bolting foxes and common to see them tied up under high seats.

I think you should bring in a few and let us know how you go! Cool wee dogs
    Gibo likes this.

Just a show line standard x mini but she has taken a shine to rabbit shooting. Missus had her on the leash on my departure shooting and turned up beside me in the paddock when lining up a shot, wont take no for an answer so is my shooting buddy.

Put her on a training cord and she is getting better at staying in heel while scanning paddocks but still full of beans and hard to stay still for too long.

She will indicate a point on rabbits laid up in the shelter belt but not hold it for long and begins stalking into them.

The shot has unfortunately become the release for her but working on changing it to a pss pss sound for when I just want to put her on something.

She has been ideal for pulling dead rabbits out of holes and dispatching the not yet dead.

Feral cats turn her absolutely savage and she chase them, luckily hasnt caught up with one.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JasonW View Post
    Just a show line standard x mini but she has taken a shine to rabbit shooting. Missus had her on the leash on my departure shooting and turned up beside me in the paddock when lining up a shot, wont take no for an answer so is my shooting buddy.

Put her on a training cord and she is getting better at staying in heel while scanning paddocks but still full of beans and hard to stay still for too long.

She will indicate a point on rabbits laid up in the shelter belt but not hold it for long and begins stalking into them.

The shot has unfortunately become the release for her but working on changing it to a pss pss sound for when I just want to put her on something.

She has been ideal for pulling dead rabbits out of holes and dispatching the not yet dead.

Feral cats turn her absolutely savage and she chase them, luckily hasnt caught up with one.

Sounds quite the stroppy little lass
    JasonW likes this.

Set up some fake burrows in the garden for the sausage today, getting more bold. Apparently the instinct has to mature to go to earth in some terriers so may be the same with dachshunds, she wouldnt have a bar of it 6 months ago.

Wirehunt and stingray like this.