Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Three legged dog owners?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Three legged dog owners?

Hey dog people.
    After returning from an overseas holiday and picking up my GSP from the kennel it was quite obvious he was carrying his LH front leg. He was occasionally a bit ginger on it a couple of weeks leading up to our trip but not as bad as when I picked him up.
    After a visit to the vet expecting to get another dose of anti inflams and a telling off for not resting him enough I got the worst news that his x-ray had come up looking not too flash and it looks like he has a bone cancer in his humerus bone.
    He's booked in for a biopsy tomorrow and if it is the worst I need to make a plan. I dont want to, but I have to.
    Worst option but possibly the only one is euthanising him. I don't really want to think about it just yet but I want to be informed as best I can before I make that call.
    If it is cancer AND it hasn't metastasized amputation is an option. Oskar the tripod. Ostiosarcoma I understand is not a nice one and is typically aggressive so if it has spread I'm not going to do chemo or other radiation.
    Does anyone have or have experience with amputee dogs? I'm concerned he will not have the quality of life he expects from himself, being such a driven dog.
    Fingers crossed it is something else but the symptoms are not cool.

a life as a tri pod should be sweet, although a face plant is on the cards everytime he goes on point
    i think cancer has already claimed another from this litter, but fingers crossed for you.
    kiwijames likes this.

Our next door neighbours dog last a rear leg when he was hit by a car. He was young when it happened and he gets around well walking/running around their section. Taking on a long hunt would be different though.
    kiwijames likes this.

Sorry to hear about your dog mate, sucks when they're unwell.

In my lifetime, Dad has had a couple of farm dogs that only had 3 legs, one a huntaway the other a heading dog. I can't recall neither of them suffering from it, they both worked as hard as any other dog and both lived well into double digits.

Good luck.
    kiwijames, R93 and mikee like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Mate has just gone through the same thing with his doberman. Bruno is quite old but he's adapted remarkably well. Was walking (albeit a bit gumby) after a day. Pretty much has the hang of it a month later, although his gallop has slowed a bit. He's perfectly happy. Can't do long walks any more, bit of a trot down to the park and a run around and he's ready to go home.

Plus he's stoked with how many pats he gets now
    kiwijames likes this.

R93
    He is a tough brute James as you well know.
    He will get around fine with 3 legs if it comes to that.
    Hoping he comes thru well. I still owe him for that pheasant he got me last year and was hoping to hunt over him again in the near future.
    I am hoping I will still be able to.
    kiwijames, Pengy and BRADS like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Sad news KJ, but by the sound of things theres hope for the lad yet....best of luck mate!!!!
    kiwijames likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Aly
    Yes, I can say I have had plenty of experience with a bordier collie x cocker spaniel who lost one of her front legs and lived to be 19!
    My dog was a cattle dog and just as fit and fast as any of the other farm dogs, once they get used to three legs dogs are truly fine! Mine still would jump up on the quad bike for rides and hunt dog wild cats with ease, and still just as happy. Hardly lost balance as well. She was hit by a car and it was either put her down or just remove the leg from the shoulder down, opted for the latter and she lived a long and happy life on the farm.

So long as your dog isn't in pain or ill after the operation, and goes back to being fit and healthy - should live a long and happy life after adjustment.
    7mmsaum, kiwijames and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    a life as a tri pod should be sweet, although a face plant is on the cards everytime he goes on point
    i think cancer has already claimed another from this litter, but fingers crossed for you.
    Still laughing about the "on Point" remark
    Gibo likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Same shit thats got me

Hope everything turns out well for oskar
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Shit news KJ hope it works out

DPT
    That sucks mate, all the best with the biopsy.

Yeah mate Oskar will be fine on 3 legs,
    Have seen plenty of successful farm dogs get around on 3 legs with no issues.
    It might even clean out his ears a bit

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Same shit thats got me

Hope everything turns out well for oskar
    I can now see a little bit of your journey @Toby and can only imagine the pain.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

mate had cocker the same age and color as ours only it had a long undocked tail, we had been to visit about 3 times and one day noticed dog only had one front leg!!!! couldn't tell at a glance, yip they will face plant if go on point but up side is much less holes dug in lawn.