Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Visla how good are these dogs.?

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    First time I have seen these, quite interesting
    Bracco Italiano
    Bracco Italiano - il cane piu' bello del mondo. MC.wmv - YouTube
    Not to shabby at the scenting, wouldn't win cruffs for best kooking in show. I to never seen them before, looked a bit like a Koon hound I though . Those. Super gwps look like the shit, can't see them getting cold with all that fir. Do they come up for grabs in nz ?

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Not to shabby at the scenting, wouldn't win cruffs for best kooking in show. I to never seen them before, looked a bit like a Koon hound I though . Those. Super gwps look like the shit, can't see them getting cold with all that fir. Do they come up for grabs in nz ?
    New Zealand breed club for Deutsch-Drahthaar versatile hunting dogs - Digi

Hunters introduce new dog breed

Cheers for that link, have done some homework ,there are 9 registered in nz. I've never bothered how much a pup costs, don't get me wrong not made of money, far from it.What do you think one of these D D s would cost if one was to get hands on one ? ,. If you can go by there testimonies they are a dog to watch for .
    Anyone seen one ? .

there have been about 5 full blooded german dogs bought into nz and registered with the nzkc, 3 of those within the last 4 years.
    you are buying into a training and testing programme with the DD, there are not many kiwi hunters willing to put in that amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Cheers for that link, have done some homework ,there are 9 registered in nz. I've never bothered how much a pup costs, don't get me wrong not made of money, far from it.What do you think one of these D D s would cost if one was to get hands on one ? ,. If you can go by there testimonies they are a dog to watch for .
    Anyone seen one ? .
    Home - Willowgrove Kennels

dont think you will get much change out of 1k for a drahthaar , well bread dogs for hunters ,
    in my mind of thinking they are (should be) that much of a dog it would be bit of a shame just to use them on deer , would love to have ago at training one to its full capabilities, i will 100% have a drahthaar some time ,

me too..............

i seen

HF1
    How about Dave Wilson down south?

He hunts all the time over Moose and I believe there was a litter bred recently to an import from Hungarian hunting lines.

My young dog is showing a lot of drive and his father is hunted over regularly.

So much depends on the dog's personality, the chances to get out there and do it and the handler too.

I'd stay with the GSP. Just got a pup (now 9 months) after having GSPs a few years ago. Very impressed with his natural ability. With a GSP you pretty much know what you are getting, fairly easy to train and suited to the NZ hunting conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I'd stay with the GSP. Just got a pup (now 9 months) after having GSPs a few years ago. Very impressed with his natural ability. With a GSP you pretty much know what you are getting, fairly easy to train and suited to the NZ hunting conditions.
    No disrespect intended Grumpy but I couldn;t disagree with that more. Of all the gundog breeds out there to be seriously considered I believe the GSP is the most diverse on offer. The temperments range from wimps to hard arse, the abilities cover just as wide a spectrum. I think there are some great GSP's out there, but you really need to be either lucky or do some serious homework to ensure you know what you're getting... as always, your mileage may vary.