Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What can I use to heal this

What can I use to heal this

My dog was on the lead when I was at work, he ripped his colar off and I his is what's on his neck, it's growing everyday, quite abit overnight in fact,
    Can I treat it with anything id have around home eg rawleighs, I don't have enough money to take him to the vets for the next couple of weeks
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Vet now, and pay in 2 weeks. Looks nasty to me.
    tetawa, mikee and Tommy like this.

Haematoma from being pinched by the collar? Or something more sinister?

VET. if it is growing as you say.......talk to them regarding payment.
    looks like it has been bleeding a fair bit so could just be filled with pus/blood, vet will clean it up, drain it and give him antibiotics.
    mikee, gsp follower and ROKTOY like this.

iodine works wonders just water it down a little else it can burn a bit after a few days of using it

Manuka honey
    Reindeer likes this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

The trouble with Stockholm tar is that it seals off the wound and you don't know what's going on under it. Used to use it for shear cuts back in the day. I've seen some terrible messes under it.

Talk to your vet about paying it off Mate. If it is growing it indicates an infection or worse. Could be a simple infection that just needs cleaning out and antibiotics.
    But your mate is worth it aye.

I would think the vet is your best move and ask them to let you pay later.

I use EMT Gel for this sort of thing and it is brilliant. GunDog Accessories Ltd this outfit used to sell it but have withdrawn it for some technical reason, I think it is a vet only med but they might still have some and let you have some. Bloody bureaucrats, won't let him sell it and yet I have been able to have it sent from the states anytime I wanted it.

I don;t like the sound of it growing though... that sounds like infection and a need for proper antibiotics. If you try a remedy at home, if it grows anymore get to the vet. Oh and have used Manuka Honey for some things too and it does work.

Name:  emt.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  3.5 KB
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

I would have to vote "vet now - pay later" too, looks nasty
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Just looks like a graze to me but then I am no vet, can he reach to lick there?
    Certainly if it gets worse still then vet now pay later.

Most vets will work out some kind of finance deal, not ideal but hey you gotta look after your mates... I had my dogs dental bill on tic .
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

dont fuck about vet now to be safe .
    most vets ive struck will tell you if its urgent and then let you pay it off.
    you might regret waiting more than any vet will regret letting you pay later if its serious

Missis took Rosco to vet today, bad infection, $100 for antibiotics and got him up to date on his shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Pointer and 5 others like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Good move mate. He'll be pleased you did that for him.(your dog, not the vet)
    tetawa likes this.

Sorry didnt see this earlier Smiddy but you did the right thing. Looks like what is called a "hotspot" -an area of skin irritation that becomes infected. Once the infection is established in the outer layers of skin on a thick furred dog, it spreads like wildfire due to the humidity against the skin. if you get these early you can clip the hair away from the wound and well back from the edges - they always go further back than you think- and apply iodine a couple of times a day like Boaraxa said. If it is too well established you need antibiotic tablets, occasionally steroids too if they are really sore or itchy.
    See this heaps in breeds that have a thick undercoat (labs a shepherds represent) also if they have underlying itchy skin, humid days in summer, a collar pinch or scratching at collar is also a common trigger.
    Smiddy likes this.