Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Looking for a new job?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    @nz_hunter. You'll be fine. Good things take time.
    Yeah I know, but its just very annoying as my current job doesn't offer anything in the way of qualifications so I'm unable to better myself for the future.
    Cheers Danny!

Looking for a new job?

Yea. It's tough like that. If you're ever over BOP ways sing out. Plenty of opportunities for those wishing to better themselves. Plenty.
    Also two jobs came up today, one in Timaru another in Auckland for bum-boy apprenticeships in those strands your talking about.
    Sounds like you have the A and the A. Stick to your guns and you'll be fine.
    Dan M

Kind of like 100k Garages? Though they don't really have an NZ presence at all. Makerspace could also be a useful avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by nz_hunter View Post
    As a young guy trying to break through into the engineering industry it is incredibly hard. I find myself applying for jobs even where it specifies that they are after a tradesman with 10+ years experience because I hope that they might call or email to say "Your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion", so I can explain I'm after an apprenticeship,
    With no word of a lie, I would have applied for at least 40+ engineering jobs in the past two months alone, all of them not even getting past the first stage due to lack of experience, but how am I to get more without being offered an opportunity?
    Luckily, I'm 19 and have age/time on my side. I also work in workshop (we produce exhausts for trucks, diggers etc) where I'm welding, operating lathes, mills, drills, presses, rollers, benders and other assortments of machines.
    I back myself on my welding ability using MIG and Arc, working on my TIG. Also pretty happy with my machining capabilities, although our lathe is from the 50's I'm getting a really good grounding on my basic skills.

All this, and I still get turned down because they want Tradies and not keen young bucks who always show up early and are keen to learn and take everything on board.

Rant over
    Knock on there door, talk to them face to face, you'll get a job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sako75, veitnamcam and kiwijames like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by DPT View Post
    I spose if I wanted to put the company on hold for ten years I could train someone . We need someone that can hit the floor running with a lot more experience than I have at running these machines. What we want is not something that can be learnt in a couple of years...
    most of us understand your point and without knowing how your setup it is pretty rich to tell you how to run your business, a company i sub to has two young fellas on the books doing bits and pieces mixed up with the old school guys he has so they learn good sound skills before they are lost. in your setup is there a place for a apprentice and one of your current guys to step up to the roll you need to fill, is all your work cnc or is the manual lathes and mills. apprenticeship nz pay a large part of their wage to which might help with operating cost. good luck finding the right person.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

Quote Originally Posted by nz_hunter View Post
    Yeah I know, but its just very annoying as my current job doesn't offer anything in the way of qualifications so I'm unable to better myself for the future.
    Cheers Danny!
    your in the right place bro, have your looked at the petrochemical places drilling and so on, my old boss worked for century 21 doing geothermal drilling and a bit of oil down your way. if your willing to relocate rotorua or tauranga could be a look. i started my own engineering company last year it was very hard going but my network is getting bigger and the work is more reliable. being prepared to work every hour of the day has helpped me but thats based on not knowing when the next hours work is coming from. head down arse up and build a reputation the work will come.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

I used to work for century resources, who was your boss? pm if you like

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    most of us understand your point and without knowing how your setup it is pretty rich to tell you how to run your business, a company i sub to has two young fellas on the books doing bits and pieces mixed up with the old school guys he has so they learn good sound skills before they are lost. in your setup is there a place for a apprentice and one of your current guys to step up to the roll you need to fill, is all your work cnc or is the manual lathes and mills. apprenticeship nz pay a large part of their wage to which might help with operating cost. good luck finding the right person.
    No not at this stage, maybe in the future we could look at an apprentice but only when we had a few more guys on, our work is both manual and cnc. We don't have anyone else here that has any experience with cnc's apart from our young worker that just pushes the start button on one of the lathes, he has no interest in doing anymore than that, even if he did we would still need someone here with the experience to take him under his wing so to speak.

applied for a job similar to yours at a local firm, actually got told i was over qualified for what they wanted... ie someone young with prospects wouldnt benefit from what basically a machine operators role.

what sort of things are you offering to prospective candidates?

+1 for trying to get an apprentice, do something for your industry. Call ATNZ they will be happy to help, and do the recruitment and training processes for you.

Youll probably never get an employee with the exact skill set your after. Alot of companies take on apprentices because they are in a similar position and they can 'mould' an apprentice into what fits the companies needs
    #BallisticFists

DPT
    This position has been filled. We have some pretty cool stuff in the pipeline so keep tuned in :-)
    puku, veitnamcam and 199p like this.

Ejected
    Now go hire an apprentice. Right now. My new apprenti would make your head spin @DPT, he does your shit for fun making his own cnc type machines

Entertaining thread this one. Any company that doesn't have people coming through are straight out silly, when welding there was always someone I had my eye on for training and the same goes for rabbiting. It's actually waaaay harder to find someone for rabbiting than welding/engineering as they have to hit the ground running more so than the standard trades.
    Tommy likes this.